Windows 2000 running faster than XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2005, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Windows 2000 running faster than XP

I have a computer with windows XP, and my friend has a PC with windows 2000. His computer runs it extremely fast, while I have to wait a while for all my stuff to load. We both have 512 ram, he has a 9200 SE video card and i have a integrated, he has a amd xp 2400+ I have a newer pentium 4 processor, and he is running windows (booting up) much faster than me. He almost never sees the mouse turn into the loading thing. He clicks and its there. But with mine it takes a while to load most things. Do any of you guys have any ideas?

Old 04-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

the integrated graphics is slowing you down. it takes up some of your CPU time, and main RAM

Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Not as much as you would think, though. Check what's running on startup, which may make yours a bit faster. You can also defrag which will make it a bit faster. The thing about Win2000 compared to WinXP is that WinXP was made more into the user-friendly type, as when Win2000 was released it wasn't as advanced. So no matter what, Win2000 is about always going to be faster.

IE You have all the rounded stuff on WinXP.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

xp is slower and faster for alot of reasons:
1. it shows off its graphics alot, which makes it slower. you can turn that off though... which may help
start>run>msconfig>startup tab (as SkiHi said)
2. also xp has a folder called "prefetch" it makes windows faster... but after so long of collecting data it slows it down more than speeing it up
3. defragging helps... O&O or Diskeeper will make ur boot up alot faster (chances are)
list goes on and on but mainly kus xp tries to do alot of work for you which makes it slow
I'm Forgetful! so if i stop posting on something that i was helping you with... PM me or IM me
yahoo and aol: blitze105
you can always IM or PM me if i offend you as well, i will edit the post if i have.
Closed Thread