Windows 2000 - Explorer.exe error

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebob

Solid State Member
I have a machine running Windows 2000 w/ IE 6.0 Service pack 1 and Win2k service pack 4. As soon as windows is started up I receive an error stating explore.exe is generating problems or something and a log report (Dr. Watson) is being made. The only button you can hit is Cancel. When you hit cancel the desktop icons flash away for a second then come back and everything seems to be fine. I have reloaded service pack 4 and uninstalled and reinstalled IE6. I have all current updates and my antivirus is up to date. Microsoft online knowledge system says this error has something to do with Win2k and Norton Clean Sweep. The only norton loaded on the machine is Antivirus client edition. Any ideas on what I should try? Do I need to reload windows (repair console) from the Win2k CD?

unclebob said:
I...Do I need to reload windows (repair console) from the Win2k CD?

You probably won't have to go that far if you're OS is fine other than the error message. If you use the recovery console, it's gonna ask you if you have an ERD (emergency recovery disk) or not. If you don't have one, you're gonna have to get your hands on a good W2K book from the library so you can learn to use the dos-like commands. If you do have the ERD, than you choose the inspect system file options.

If none of the above works, you could try to copy the explorer.exe file from a good working W2K PC onto your current one.

BTW, have you looked in the event viewer in Admin Tools to see if it provides any clues as to the exact nature of hte problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom