Windows 2000 to 2003 DC Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danks

In Runtime
My network runs on one Forest one Domain and on DC/DNS.

I want to upgrade my 2000 server to 2003. Can anyone give me some advice on the best method of upgrading this?

Im willing to assume that you would have to buy a new license for Server 2003. There should be an upgrade tool that will preserve your LDAP structure. Still, Backup just to be safe.

Yeah, IÂ’ve done extensive research and the process takes a bit more then just running an upgrade program. Here is the link if anyone else is interested.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325379

As for backup, yes it is prob the most important part of the upgrade. Right now my options is to install another HD into my DC and ghosting an image of the DC into the new HD. If anything goes wrong id just plug the backup HD in and boot it from there, and of course, pray that it works.

I'm also going to export all the user data into a txt file. If all goes bad, ill just reinstall the DC and import the txt file.

Anyone else have a better suggestion?

I always suggest a clean install
BIOS update
Possible more harddrive space
Possible ram addition

Since you are upgrading, might as well go all out

1 Forest 1 Domain 1 DC.

Options are either to upgrade the DC from 2000 to 2003.

or

Clean install 2003 on a new machine then joining it in the domain.

BTW the server also runs DNS.

ohh ****..with that small of a network I would for sure go the clean install route..how many users in AD?

About 40 users in AD.

Once I fresh install the new 2003 server. What are the steps of joining it into the network?

Danks said:
About 40 users in AD.

Once I fresh install the new 2003 server. What are the steps of joining it into the network?

It's the only DC so you have to run dcpromo. Reinstall DNS before or after, doesn't really matter but I usually install DNS and configure DNS first if DNS is on the same machine.

Isnt it required to run adprep /forestprep
and adprep /domainprep
on the 2000 DC prior to bringing the 2003 server in the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom