Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyph3R

Baseband Member
Im lookin to get a new comp, and im wondering if I HAVE to buy an Operating System (windows xp home or proffesional) or can i take it off someone else?

Most likely if you purchase a new system, it will come with a pre-loaded copy of Windows XP Home edition (Unless you upgrade to XP Pro).

yes im custom building the computer myself, but im asking could u just use someone elses CD instead of having to buy a new Windows.

if only it was that easy, microsucks frowns upon this and in doin so makes it so if u dont activate xp in 30 days or so it will lock u from ur desktop and u cant use the same activation number twice

What do you mean by "Purchased" key?

Is it possible to purchase a Key code from Microsoft and just use somebody else's CD? Does this cost less?

In theory you can, but why would you want to pay so much for something and NOT have your own????? This is mainly used for corporate environment purchasing 100s of software licenses for 2000, XP, etc.
No, it costs the same too. Unless you are a corporate customer buying a certain number of liceneses. Or a reseller..... lol Hopefully you get the point.... lol

-Mike

To answer the original question.....You should purchase your own copy. The last thing that you want are headaches.

See, technically your not BUYING the software program XP to run, rather you are buying a license from microsoft to USE said program. So ya, use ANY cd you like... its not the software you are paying for. Just the license saying microsoft is 'allowing' you to use there software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom