Windows 10: Transfer Key

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

Not too long ago I had started and posted this thread:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-10-activate-motherboard-278867/

That thread was in reference to a motherboard swap-out I did (and a Win 10 Activation thingy). Now I am about to embark on a completely new system build; here's what I'd like to find out and make sure of:

My Windows 10 key is from a "digital entitlement"; I had Windows 7 Pro a little while back and took advantage of the free in-place upgrade that Microsoft offered. I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro, not OEM.

So, since my custom system build I am about to embark on will be all new hardware, I had been wondering about my Windows 10 license key.....and if it was "transferable" to a completely new system.

During a search on the 'Net, I came across this:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

The article's a little long, but appears very thorough & complete.

First, on your current system/ build, you uninstall or "release" the key, to free it up for use elsewhere (in the article it's some text you enter into a CMD prompt).

During the install of the OS on the new system, you "skip" the part about entering the license key.

Then, after the new system build is up & running, there comes the part to re-activate. More CMD stuff, etc., etc. And, even if you run into a bump in the road, there's a section where you can contact MS Support and provide them with an Installation ID, explain the situation (new system build, transfer license), and they will activate it for you.

The only item of concern I came across in the article (and some comments posted below the article) was mention of an OEM version of the OS. Some people who posted comments to the article say OEM is not a problem, that you can still do this license transfer thing....but others disagree. But all that shouldn't affect me anyway, because I have a retail version.

Anyway, let me know what you think; legit article & information? Can I "release" the license key from my current system like the article claims? Then use it again once my new system is up & running and at the desktop?

Thanks for any info,
Pez

Yeah all that's pretty unnecessary.

Just install Win10 on the new system, and during the installation enter your key. If you did the upgrade from Win7/8.1, then you should be able to just enter that key IIRC. You don't need to "uninstall" the old key from the other system. As long as you only have 1 active system with that install of Windows on it, you're fine according to retail license agreement.

The Windows 10 free upgrade worked like this:
OEM Win7/8.1 key -> Free upgrade -> OEM Win10 key
Retail Win7/8.1 key -> Free upgrade -> Retail Win10 key

Back
Top Bottom