Windows 10 Installation Help

richarizard

Baseband Member
Hey guys, so I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and I've got some questions.

I have a SSD and HDD, and I have my OS in my SSD. I had to go into regedit and change programfilesdir to C:/ (which my OS is in the SSD) because I had an error code when Win10 was trying to install. Will all my files be erased if I upgrade to Win10?

When I go on with the installation process, Windows will ask me what type of installation I want; If I want to upgrade or do a custom install. If I go through a custom install I'll have to make a partition and whatnot. Which option should I go with?

Kinda confused and not experienced with this so if I could get help that'll be great.

Yes it will prompt you which install method you'd like to choose.

Though I'd recommend a clean install, as that's always the best option.

Yes it will prompt you which install method you'd like to choose.

Though I'd recommend a clean install, as that's always the best option.

I can't clean install unless I upgrade first. Has to do something with Microsoft wanting to verify your copy of Win10 first or something like that.

I can't clean install unless I upgrade first. Has to do something with Microsoft wanting to verify your copy of Win10 first or something like that.

WIth Build 10240, it was the case where you had to upgrade so it would activate, and then you could do a clean install.

However with the new build that just released the other day, 10586, you can input your Win7 or Win8.1 product key on the Win10 install screen, and then will verify / activate once connected to the internet.

I suggest re-creating install media with the latest version from Microsoft's Media Creation tool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Back
Top Bottom