Window Xp Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
Is there a way to compile all the drivers I download from windows update, on a disc? Possibly slip stream it on an XP cd?

or you can use this from an old post of mine.

Tired of losing drivers when you reinstall XP?

Posted by: EricB

part of this trick was courtesy of PCWorld

download the proper OS batch file to your desktop or your C drive (It didn't work when I copied it from another partition). If it don't download, copy and paste it in notepad and save it as drivercopy. rename the .txt extension to .bat. viola, you now have a batch file.

XP
98,ME

open it. it will open command prompt. it will copy the files to your C drive

it will save it as a hidden folder called olddrivers. (you have to unhide them in folder options to see them. right click the drive, select properties and unhide). you can now burn it to disk (I would burn the batch file too). if you ever have reformat, you can throw this disc in (make you use the add new hardware wizard or update in device manager) when you are done. it will contain all of your latest drivers. if it ask for more files, browse to the cd.

oldrivers1.jpg

oldrivers2.jpg

edit. the links doesn't seem to work anymore. copy this into notepad and save it as a bat file on your desktop

echo off
cls
echo This batch file is meant for use ONLY with Windows XP.
echo It copies certain files and folders out of the Windows folder so that
echo they are still on your hard drive when you delete that folder and
echo reinstall Windows.
echo Written by Lincoln Spector for PC World.
pause
md \olddrivers
cd \olddrivers
xcopy c:\windows\help /h /y
xcopy c:\windows\inf /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system32 /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system32\drivers /h /r /y
pause

or you can use this from an old post of mine.

Tired of losing drivers when you reinstall XP?

Posted by: EricB

part of this trick was courtesy of PCWorld

download the proper OS batch file to your desktop or your C drive (It didn't work when I copied it from another partition). If it don't download, copy and paste it in notepad and save it as drivercopy. rename the .txt extension to .bat. viola, you now have a batch file.

XP
98,ME

open it. it will open command prompt. it will copy the files to your C drive

it will save it as a hidden folder called olddrivers. (you have to unhide them in folder options to see them. right click the drive, select properties and unhide). you can now burn it to disk (I would burn the batch file too). if you ever have reformat, you can throw this disc in (make you use the add new hardware wizard or update in device manager) when you are done. it will contain all of your latest drivers. if it ask for more files, browse to the cd.

oldrivers1.jpg

oldrivers2.jpg

edit. the links doesn't seem to work anymore. copy this into notepad and save it as a bat file on your desktop

echo off
cls
echo This batch file is meant for use ONLY with Windows XP.
echo It copies certain files and folders out of the Windows folder so that
echo they are still on your hard drive when you delete that folder and
echo reinstall Windows.
echo Written by Lincoln Spector for PC World.
pause
md \olddrivers
cd \olddrivers
xcopy c:\windows\help /h /y
xcopy c:\windows\inf /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system32 /h /r /y
xcopy c:\windows\system32\drivers /h /r /y
pause

That's pretty sweet. Thanx dude

I hate to be a pest but the ftp site is prompting me for a user name and password.

that was an old link (3-4 years ago). I don't remember it for 2000. try using the xp one. most xp stuff work on 2000

Notepad.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom