Window when dragging is very slow/ghosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Every once and awhile people that know me that know nothing about computers will ask me if I can clean things up for them and make it faster. I am not a tech guy but I have worked with fixing broke computers enough that I know little easy things to make things run better for them.

Most of the time it's the typical tools and spyware apps I use to make it better.

However this guys laptop is SLOOOOW! It looks fairly new but the windows seem to drag very slow and they almost skip or ghost across the monitor when you drag them.

Any idea why? Is this a memory issue?

assuming windows 2000 or later

i would check

how much phyiscal ram is available? in task manager (ctrl+shift+esc), performance tab

switch to processes tab

Is a particular process using most of the cpu?

how many processes are running? what are these processes doing?

can you close any of these problem processes?

also check event veiwer in control panel> admin tools for any other clues to problems.

Thanks I thought i would just ask while i am at work. I went home and ran some spyware/virus removal tools and had to return to work before it was finished. I will check back here when I get off work if I am still having issues. This guy has so many junk apps on his computer! Some ebay program, some download manager I never heard of. It was such a mess. he had 4 different virus protection programs all installed and all dated! Some thing else I tell you!

He has about 60% of his 1GB of memory. I ran msconfig and shut down some start programs, uninstalled a bunch of junk. Couldn't get it running smooth. Wonder if a disk defrag would have helped?

IT would just flicker when you moved the window, dragging it around the monitor.

No a defrag wouldnt help. With a PC that far gone if the Guide doesnt help the only thing that will is a format and reinstall.

That computer is almost dead. I don't know who uses multiple virus programs with success. Your friend needs a new laptop. 1 GB of RAM, with only 2/3 being used would not cause that problem. If I were you, I would make a post on the laptop section of this forum, and ask for buying advice.

One quick tip:
Never Buy DELL! Just build your own laptop, our find a reputable company.

Sarah McPherson

Video drivers need updated?

Edit: Sarah...what makes you think that computer is "almost dead" ? You didn't give any reasons. I see no reason for a new laptop... And running multiple virus programs causes problems...not multiple antispyware apps.

Also, Dell makes good laptops, just not desktops. Building your own laptop is WAY more expensive than just going prebuilt...only custom build desktops.

That computer is almost dead. I don't know who uses multiple virus programs with success. Your friend needs a new laptop. 1 GB of RAM, with only 2/3 being used would not cause that problem. If I were you, I would make a post on the laptop section of this forum, and ask for buying advice.

One quick tip:
Never Buy DELL! Just build your own laptop, our find a reputable company.

Sarah McPherson

I am sorry but how is the laptop almost dead? Just cause it is slow now doesnt mean that a format and reinstall wouldnt fix the issue. To say that they need a new laptop cause the OS is running slow is insane.

A format and reinstall would take it back to just about factory settings. Then there would be no slowdown and not as much RAM used.

There is also nothing wrong with Dell. I have used one for 5 years already and my wife has had her laptop for 2 years now. Never had a issue with them outside of user created errors.

Sorry but that advice is not good to say to get a new laptop when a simple format and reinstall will fix the problems with about an hours worth of work.

Yes before he left I informed him the only thing that would probably get it back to running good would be a reformat. I told him to save everything he wants and I'll do it.

That is going to be your best option. Only way to save a system that far gone. Upon reinstall put AVG or Avast on there along with some Anti-spyware stuff like Defender or Spybot. Together they are not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom