Window Vista Laptop Crashes Frequently - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Window Vista Laptop Crashes Frequently

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Sony Vaio laptop from Fry's last month and it is installed with Window Vista Home Premium edition. Lately, it crashes a lot. (This week alone it has already crashed three times.) It crashes when I leave it on for awhile (about 30 minutes) and when I come back I find that it is frozen. It also crashes when I am just browsing the internet or playing online games.

The laptop has 1GB memory, and I heard that to run Vista you need at least that much. So what could be the problem? Is it just defective? I find that it's so unnatural that a new laptop can crash so frequently.

In the future, how do I prevent this from happening so frequently again? Should I just close all the applications when I leave it? Or should I just put it on Hibernate or Stand By? What's the difference anyway?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I really hope you guys can help me! I am starting to worry about this laptop!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Window Vista Laptop Crashes Frequently

Any errors that are reported? Check the event viewer logs and see whats causing the errors. Also, disable system restart on error to see if it gives you a BSOD/stop error code.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks carnage. But can you explain what those are? I am really bad in computer.

How do I check the event viewer logs? Also, how do I disable the system restart on error?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Start Orb>Right click on Computer>Properties>Advanced Tab>Startup and recovery>Uncheck the box Automatically restart PC after crash.

Start>Run in seach box>Right click on the Run command and use the Run as Admin>then type in eventvwr.msc in the box that comes up. This will bring up your event viewer and tell you what things have caused yoru crash.

On a side note Vista SP1 was jsut finalized today and should be available with the next set of updates. When it is ready get it.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I opened the Event Viewer, and I saw that under the Error tab, there is 4 cases that is caused by SidebySide. I looked it up on the Internet and it says it is a spyware. It is strange because I never detect it during a virus scan. And I can't find that I install that program in the first place.

I click on it and it says "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\Installer\{67E03279-F703-408F-B4BF-46B5FC8D70CD}\wksdb.exe". Dependent Assembly msadctls,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32", version="1.0.1801.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.tt"

So what does that mean? It's somehow connected the the Microsoft works? Can I just disable it or something?

How do I just delete SidebySide manually to avoid my laptop crashing in the future?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/sp...osiris-165828/

Go through Osiris's guide.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Carnage is right. Go to the Virus area and follow Osiris's guide and post a JiJack this log in the Analyze area. There you can get your spyware problems resolved and if the problem still persists stop on back after you get a clean bill of health from Osiris.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread