Window 10 questions *READ* :D

DX12 might help with games in the future, but if it currently isn't much of a diference, then what are the advantages of running 10 over 7/8?
ooohh...yea!!! I almost forgot...you can have Cortana!!!
(not)
maybe cuz it's new and shiny and we like shiny things.

Page 6 has Gaming benchmarks for some games.

Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance > Gaming Performance - TechSpot

Win10 ist still around the same or better than Win7.

Hmm. I'm sure I sound silly here but I'm to agree to disagree. IME, on Windows 7, all my games run flawlessly. Windows 8+, there is noticeable lag.

Now, I can not deny that I could be bias here, and acknowledge that my view is just that, a subjective view.. but after demonstrating and testing for myself, I truly believe there's a large difference.

Also, I can not deny that there are about a billion factors that could affect those benchmarks vs. my experience... e.g. configuration/update choice/third party installs.

However, I stand unmovable that Windows 7 performs much faster with gaming

Disclaimer: That's just my opinion, I could be wrong

I never had a performance decrease on Win8 from Win7 for any of the games I played on my system. Same for Win8 -> Win10. If anything, the system feels much more responsive / smooth in Win10 for me. Searching from the Start menu is/was noticeably faster, even on my old test T61p laptop that I have the Preview loaded onto. Boot times are also especially improved, and that's still even on a really old 5400rpm drive running on a C2D. Couple that with the under the hood tweaks and other UI improvements (such as the ribbon UI in more applications like Explorer, the improved Task Manager, etc.), I'm sticking with Win10.

I never had a performance decrease on Win8 from Win7 for any of the games I played on my system. Same for Win8 -> Win10. If anything, the system feels much more responsive / smooth in Win10 for me. Searching from the Start menu is/was noticeably faster, even on my old test T61p laptop that I have the Preview loaded onto. Boot times are also especially improved, and that's still even on a really old 5400rpm drive running on a C2D. Couple that with the under the hood tweaks and other UI improvements (such as the ribbon UI in more applications like Explorer, the improved Task Manager, etc.), I'm sticking with Win10.

Wow yea I've had the opposite experience... which is starting to make me question my hardware.

In my signature you'll notice the ASUS SaberTooth MoBo. Unfortunately, as much of a beast it was designed to be, apparently I'm not the only one who has had some... less than pleasant issues. Interestingly enough, it would appear that the upgrade to Windows 10 also updated my BIOS (scary?) as the issues that happened pre-POST are now gone.

I'm not ditching 10, at least not completely. My laptop and business desktop will remain 10 as I do nothing but emails/office/etc on them, but my gaming rig... well I'm going back to 7.

If these benchmarks are correct, and the issue is truly with my mainboard, it should be interesting to see if the lag issues persist.

@Seti: Considering the bulk of my games are connection dependent, I'd be interested to see the results of your network probe. Although, considering my upcoming wipe and downgrade, I'll fire up my backtrack instance and take a gander at what's being sent and where. Might not be for a while tho...

Back
Top Bottom