window 10 64bit Audio issue

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
I am only getting 2 speaker audio thru my HDMI out of the Nvidia GPU. This happened only a few weeks ago. Cant figure out why. The Sony AVR still sends audio to all five speakers ( 5.0 configuration) - but the rear speakers are just repeating the fronts and no distinct center speaker - so no front/rear differences and I cannot set the volume on each speaker because they don't show up in the windows speaker setup. The the windows device manager - I have tried redownloading/updating the Nvidia latest audio drivers, I have attempted to download the Realtek audio - but it seems to only configure to the speaker outputs, not the HDMI. In the windows control panel the speaker configuration only lists stereo (2 speaker). It used to list stereo (2 speaker) then a bunch of other speaker options up to 7.1 and I could change each speakers volume in the balance area of the speaker configuration.

Any body know what happened - the only thing I can figure is a win10 update screwed it up. I did switch to a different AVR ( both Sony's) because I was having volume issues with the other Sony AVR - Turns out the amp was not working well as now I have great volume--but no 5.0 speaker configuration. I am pretty sure it was happening before I switched the AVR's.

Help is much appreciated.

Acer

Attachments

• speaker config error.jpg
    speaker config error.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
its an older Sony AVR = 540 - yes, have it set to 5.1- but even if the hdmi handshake is bad- shouldn't the options of 2.1, 5.0, 5.1 etc. show up in the windows speaker configuration area? Even if the ARV could not handle it. This same Sony was in my living room running my 5.1 system from the Comcast infinity cable box via HDMI.

Windows detects possible outputs digitally, you're thinking of an analog output. I have the 550, they aren't that old. Try hitting the A.F.D./2.0 channel button in the front. That's the only thing I can think of besides internal amp setup. When I first got my 550 I had to connect it to a screen and mess with the amp settings but that was with optical. I also would make sure pure direct isn't on. I also noticed with my 550 that certain inputs are setup to default to optical and I changed BD input to optical for my PC. It takes DTS and DD Live that way and haven't had troubles.

So u think windows is detecting the AVR settings and only showing in the speaker config the options it senses are available? Interesting?!

Yes digitally it can do that. If you have your Sony set to TV + AMP it should show stereo, at least it did for me. That's why I said take a look at your receiver settings because not everything in there is very clear. Windows also detected when I hit the A.F.D/2.0 channel button.

OK col- I will have to find the manual- I kinda remember it was a pain to set up in my main system a few years ago now that you mention it. I bet it defaulted to 2 channel again and that is what windows is detecting. But its weird that it sends music to all 5 speakers though.

ok still having this same audio issue. First the Sony AVR I have is a 520- not a 540 - so maybe older that we originally thought. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TfETsCnxCJN/p_158STDH520/Sony-STR-DH520.html WHICH SHOWS the HDMI is the 1.4 VERSION. And while I understand windows will only play audio that it "senses" is available - how stupid but "whatever". I do not understand why in the windows speaker configuration I only have the 2 channel option showing. I should be able to sent raw bitstreaming audio from the PC via the HDMI out on my 1070 Nvidia GPU to the Sony 520 AVR HDMI in, as the AVR is a 7.1 Dobly digital, DTS, etc. receiver. Then let the Sony AVR decode the audio into DTS, Dolby, etc. I have the AVR configured to 5.0 (speakers are 3 front and 2 surround). IF the HDCP/HDMI versions on the Sony AVR are too old to properly "handshake" with my PC's GPU HDMI then wouldn't windows just still show the different speaker option in the speaker config area? Basically what I am asking is how to tell is the Sony is the issue or if I have a windows issue. The kicker is the Sony AVR audio works just fine with the Playstation 3 via HDMI.

Last edited:
HDMI 1.4 shouldn't have any bearing on the signal being sent as even 1.3 should do 5.1. If the PS3 works as 5.1 in the exact HDMI spot your computer would use then I'd check to see what the PS3 is outputting as. If it's DTS or DD Live with 5.1 showing up fine then yea I'd be inclined to believe it's a Windows/drivers issue. I personally found HDMI bitstream to sound a bit weak so I'm using optical on both my PC and Xbox One X.

Back
Top Bottom