WinDgb symbols issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Ok, so have been getting BSOD recently, I though I'd had the problem beat on a couple of occasions but the BSOD eventually returns:

- RAM: with 2GB in I get errors with memtest...downgrade to 1GB and both sticks pass memtest in any slot.
- HDD: tried swapping out new one to no effect
- Re-installed all my drivers.
- reformatted and re-installed everything

At this point I still think it's either a GPU driver problem or RAM problem. Is it possible to get errors on both sticks of RAM when running dual slots but have both pass on their own as single 1GB sticks? (2GB Crucial Ballistix, about 4 months old)

I decided to try WinDbg, seemed to be the next thing to do but have been having problems getting it to work. What do I put in the Symbol Search Path? This is my first time with the program and its not going well.

I've looked around and tried a few things but nothing seems to work, I get the following message when I load the dump report:

"Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ...."

This comes up a couple of times.

Only other interesting thing happening is on a couple of occasions its actually un-installed my GPU drivers for me on the re-boot. I'm using an XFX 9800gtx+ with the folding 178.08 display drivers. Same results when i uninstall F@H and go with most updated XFX drivers from their website.

System: e2180, gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, xfx 9800gtx+, 2GB crucial ballistix, 500GB seagate HDD, razer AC-1 Sound card. corsair 650vx psu. Windows XP 32 bit SP3

Thanks

Download Windows Symbol Packages

You have to go there and get the symbols packs and install them as well. WinDBG doesnt work without them. You can install them just about anywhere you want. But you will have to open WinDBG and select file>sybol and give it the path where you isntalled the symbols to.

Depending on which system you are using you might have upwards of 2 or more packs you have to install. I have them all installed in XP. It does take time to get them all installed as well.

Thanks...I see what I was doing wrong, my sub-par english skills strike again! Lol, I thought I could link directly to the webpage and it would do a search for me as needed online....that I didn't have to download anything.

Well, I'm downloading and installing, I'll check back in once I run it.

No change, also get these messages, got them before as well but didnt post them.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for LMPriNT.DLL
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for LMPriNT.DLL -

The symbols were installed and the program is pointing to them....

Now it all depends. If you have Vista before Service pack 1 you need to get the package there. If you installed SP1 thru windows update you need the Vista SP1 symbols. If the version of Vista you are using has SP1 already incorporated you need the Vista SP1 RTM.

Same for XP. WinDBG is very tricky at times. What OS are you trying to check up on. You never mentioned that. Also mention if it came install with a SP and which version that it was originally.

Sorry, tossed it in there at the end of the first post but doesn't stick out much.

Am running XP 32 bit, SP3. It was originally SP2.

Try this symbol pack:

Windows XP with Service Pack 2 symbols
Windows XP with Service Pack 3 symbols

For your setup. Be it x86 or x64.

I installed the SP3 one, I'll try SP2 as well. While it downloads do you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting this issue?

Also...the RAM problem has still got me miffed, is it possible for two sticks of RAM to be ok on their own and have errors when running together? Twice they failed as dual channel and twice they both passed on their own, in different slots even. Does that make any sense? One stick or two BSOD are happening either way.

Without seeing the Minidumps myself i cant say for sure on anything.

Well i dont know really. I use WinDBG so i know it works. It could be that you need more symbol packs. I am not sure. I install just about every one that is available cause i analyze them for many systems. I know that i open WinDBG first then select the file from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom