Win98se install

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy

Baseband Member
I finally got a copy of Win98se, I want to install over my existing Win98 1st ed.

Questions:

1) Can I just install over the existing 98 (i.e. will it overwrite) ?
- if so will it save my personal files ?
- if not what is the best approach to accomplishing this ?

I know the easy answer is to copy my files 1st, but I don't even know all
of them, and I have some additional programs I'd like to keep like MS access ..

I'm not an expert at computers related subjects, but do you have an option of just upgrading? I think it keeps all your stuff if u do.

if you do a reg. upgrade any windows version will keep the per. files

you should be able to upgrade just fine tho the OS may recgnize the SE OS as the FE OS and may not like you trying to overwrite the OS with the same OS (o_O)... I think I just confused my self

I have done this on a couple of computers and it went fine without loosing any information. I say go ahead and do it as you were loading windows over the top.

OK so just go ahead and install the SE over the FE.

Any special technique or pre set up first.
Or just do it?

Someone else mentioned renaming the win.com file first to xwin.com, then during the install rename the Windows.000 file to Windows to ensure it installs over the top of the previous version.

Not necessary .. Just select ur install directory ..to same as the one where windows was installed earlier

Yes, this isn't nescessary.....just install over. The data will remain. Your properties will remain as well.

-Mike

Makesure the Win98SE CD is an upgradable version. I've used some that did not allow me to upgrade to SE (even though where there's a will, there's a way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom