win98 & winME on Large Hard Drives? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default win98 & winME on Large Hard Drives?

Ok, i need some help here. Another great win98 question... oh boy!

I'm installing win98se on a Western Digital 80gb hard drive. I need to know how to get it to recognize the large disc, and be able to use the whole size of the disc. I already tried installing it the first time just to see how it handled on it's own... it installed fine.. asked me if i wanted to enable large disc support, and then i just wiped the whole 80gb drive clean and installed win98 on it using it's little utility during setup.

When all was said and done, when i look at mycomputer it reads that the hard drive is actually 3.74gb .

I did a search on here and on google. I'm getting all sorts of results about having to use fdisk to make different partitions, and about using disk partition utilities... what's the quickest and easiest way to do this? I will be installing win98se and then using an upgrade disc to install winME. It's not my computer and this is entirely by the request of the computer's owner. I personally wouldn't touch ME if it weren't for this.

Obviously, i've never done this before. I've always installed win98 on smaller drives.

Thanks for your replies.

The only \"intuitive\" interface is the nipple. After that, it\'s all learned. ;)
Old 01-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

update your motherboard bios.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

use the xp disc to format it as fat32. then as soon as it finishes formatting immediately eject the disc before it starts copying files. it will say setup can't continue. now hit f3 to quit

now you can install windows me. choose the leave the file system intact option
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 01-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

why would you want to install windows 98 on a large hard drive? i would at least suggest windows 2000, because it has better functionality
Old 02-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Tall dude, the question of why i needed to install 98 on a large drive wasn't the focus point, but i'll go ahead and tell you why...

My friend didn't want to pay me for a 2000 or XP license/install.
The only \"intuitive\" interface is the nipple. After that, it\'s all learned. ;)
Closed Thread