WIN98: Setting up an internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirFobos

Beta member
I recently did a system recovery on my hp pavillion(8770c model running 98), and I've been having a bit of trouble getting it to reconize my cable hookup.

That is not all though. We have a second computer, a Dell Dimension 4600 running XP home (I am on it now and obviously is connected) and would like to get the two computers on a network sharing printer and internet. I figured the network wouldn't be a problem to setup because of the Network Setup Wizard in My Network Places in XP (and the XP cd for the 98 system). We have a Linksys Ethernet Cable/DSL router with all good cables.

But as long as the 98 remains unconnected, the Network Setup Wizard cannot set it up. So back to the question. What are some things to do to set up the internet connection on the 98?

When I start up the HP, I get a message right before the login window that says “The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.1.1 with the system having the hardware address 00:0C:41:50:A2:88. The interface has been disabled.” I don’t know what that means, but I thought it might have some meaning here.

I appreciate any help I can get. IÂ’m not to good at explaining this stuff thoughÂ…

it is telling you that that IP address is already being used so it is disabling it to avoid a conflict. you do not need to setup the HP computer before you setup the Dell computer.

you should run the internet connection wizard on the dell machine. in internet explorer go to the tools menu > internet options. in connections tab run the connection wizard. you can access this also in the control panel> network connections.

you need to do a release/ and renew on the HP machine to get it to use the network. do you know if you used static IP on the HP machine? if you do not know what that is than you don't have static IP. you can fix the IP conflict by either going to the router configuration and deleteing the entry for the 192.168.1.1 with MAC address of 00:0C:41:50:A2:88

2) you can reset the router

3) in the control panel> network connections folder right click on the network connection and select properties. you can set the network card on the HP machine to automatically obtain IP address if it is using static IP. it is set that way by default. there would be a "repair connection" option or something similar.

if not you could disable the network connection on te HP machine than enable it again. if that does not work you can click [start button> run] and type in command in the run box. you will get a DOS window. you need to do a release and renew by typing in:

ipconfig /release
--------------
then type in
------------------
ipconfig /renew

to setup the win98 HP machine to use the internet/ network you should run the winXP network connection/ internet setup floppy disk you made with the dell machine.

make sure you have set up file and printer sharing service in the control panel> network connections, than go to the printer settings and make the printer shared. do the same thing with folders you want shared by right clicking on a folder and setting share permisions, but i think you already knew these.

Hey, dude, thanks. I started from the begining and set up the router config on both computers. Now, I need to share the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom