Win98 SE and Ethernet Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Ok, i have a question. I'm working on a computer here, it has win98 SE installed. I just installed an ethernet card. This computer has no dialup modem and this is going to be way the computer is connecting to the internet (via broadband).

I just now realized that i never figured out how to get win98 to work with an ethernet card. I've toyed around with this briefly in the past, but gave up and never really messed around with it since i barely ever work on win98 computers anyway.

So here's my delima... need some tutorial or instructions on how in the world i can get win98 to use the ethernet card (pci card) for it's internet connection. I tried all the usual "common sense" things, like setting up the ip and gateway, even was able to "enable" the ethernet card, and even tried setting up connections using internet wizard. Nothing works. It wants to use a dial up modem.

I'm obviously overlooking something here and i have no experience doing this with win98.

Yes, the nic software is installed and it shows up as working under device manager, although the system wants to use a dialup modem that doesnt exist.

Help??

Try going to Control panel, Internet Options, and either setting up a new connection (via the Connection tab) or via the Advanced Tab.
I've gotten this to work on my pc back when I used 98se I just really can't remember how.

jorsoft03 said:
Try going to Control panel, Internet Options, and either setting up a new connection (via the Connection tab) or via the Advanced Tab.
I've gotten this to work on my pc back when I used 98se I just really can't remember how.

remove or delete the old phone line option while you are there

Yeah i tried both of those. It's all a mess now. It's been so long since i've been on a win98 computer that i've lost my edge. Now i just hate win98 lol.

i tried google searches too and that didnt help one bit. I ended up having to reinstall win98 again, and this time around the drivers werent loading properly (maybe something wrong with my disk being read). Graphics aren't loading properly at all, and no matter what i click to attempt to get add new connections or change existing ones all it wants to do is use that msn thing to search for a new dialup modem. Man, 98 sucks, now that i'm looking back at it.

I gave up for the night. Maybe another day. Later.

Ares said:
Yeah i tried both of those. It's all a mess now. It's been so long since i've been on a win98 computer that i've lost my edge. Now i just hate win98 lol.

i tried google searches too and that didnt help one bit. I ended up having to reinstall win98 again, and this time around the drivers werent loading properly (maybe something wrong with my disk being read). Graphics aren't loading properly at all, and no matter what i click to attempt to get add new connections or change existing ones all it wants to do is use that msn thing to search for a new dialup modem. Man, 98 sucks, now that i'm looking back at it.

I gave up for the night. Maybe another day. Later.

somewhere in the msn thing, you have the option to connect to a lan

It never had one. I ended up going with an XP install. I never did figure out how to get 98 to work with a cable connection and i tried everything i could think of.

I tried it on multiple computers and was unsuccessful. I did discover that if you install win98 on a pc that already has onboard ethernet installed on the motherboard that it recognizes it and configures it for use.

I don't know the exact steps but you pick IE to connect, then some msn sign in bullship comes up. somewhere during this process if you look down, you will have a lan/manual option that will skp the sign on process if you go that and it will just give you the internet without msn and that other junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom