win98 se dns problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

muradtalukdar

Baseband Member
Running win98se.
Had to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP and NetBeui etc then managed to get onto newtwork(single domain). I can print etc across the network even.
Now I can't access websites...can't ping any www.something.com and can't ping ip's either...even on the network.
I can see everything and browse network neighbourhood but get dns error pages in the browser.

We assign ip's manually and I have set the DNS search order to be the same as every other win98 client here ie to the router first then teh suffix order using our isp dns servers.

However when reinstalling tcp etc i had to use a win98 cd as someone has nicked the win98se cd we had. Does this sound like it could be a problem with that?
??

can you ping the DNS server? What other protocols do you have installed? Seems like there is a communications error between your machine and the DNS server.

dont add so protocols,for link up internet ,to add tcp/ip protocol is enough.add the Netbeui protocol is not necessary.moreover,it add the trouble to search for the reason for the error and problems.

one suggestion.dont use the network neighbourhood to browse other machine. the network neighbourhood for win98 ,there is some thing wrong.if you want to browse other machine,you can use the Computer Finger to search for the other computer name.or search for it's ip address.i have used the win98 operation system for few years.There is so kind of problem about win98.i make sure it .Believe me.search for the ip address is really ok.

my friend,are you sure that it is a dns problem?
to link up the network.dont be impatient to access websites.First of all,you must ping yourself,also your computer ip address.this is the first step.if the first step fails,you must check your network card device right or wrong.you can uninstall the network card device and reinstall it.if the step is ok,then you can continue and go on the next step.

the second step,you can ping other machine ip address.ping the isp gateway ip address.i dont know what is your isp.general,adsl is often used.yourself computer gateway must point to the isp service gateway.if you cant ping the gateway,anything dont to do next time.

the gateway is ok.the third step,setup your computer dns server ip address.dns server will help you to access websites through the domain name.people is hard to memory the digital ip address.

Can't ping anthing but 127.0.0.1 which is independent of the network card as it's the loopback address.
I can see everything on the network via netneighbourhood. I can access mapped drives. I can't ping that machine from other machines which is even weirder.

I didn't quite understand some of your suggestions leaf...which is cool as you sound like English isn't your first language..wish I could speak Italian!

No Ididn't get why I had to install netbeui, but for some reason, I wasn't getting a windows networking password logon screen with out it ?:-s

Gateway is the router ip address.
I can't ping either by domainname or server name or server ip or gateway ip etc.
So in my mind that is a dns/tcp/ip problem?

rellly sorry for my expressing .the conception about dns is a translation function,like the language translation.but in computers,that is not the language translating,as a matter of fact,it point to the ip address and domain name corresponding connection.from what you say above,i suspicion that you have some wonder about dns.i guess,maybe it isnt true ,dont mind,never mind,it isnot my intention.

my friend,your machine question is a strange trouble.general,i can see everything on the network via netneighbour.that show the networking is expedite.But you also cannt ping other machine.IT is a really strange question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom