win98 SE-Autoexec.Bat errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm_011

Beta member
I am using a P-III Win98 SE system. For the past month my system has been experiencing a lot of problems, especially totally random sponataneous restarts. I have tried switching RAM cards, tested my HDD on another system, run multiple anti-virus scans including Stinger, AVG, & ESET online scan (and all of them have shown no virus), all to no avail. I formatted my HDD and re-installed Win 98. The computer starts up normally but the restart problem remained. I again formatted the HDD and installed Win2000 Pro, the installation was normal but the system invariably restarts before the bootup process is over. I again re-installed win98 SE and the computer works normally sometimes for long periods and then suddenly restarts for no rhyme or reason. Yesterday, when I started up the system, I got a number of "invalid command" errors during startup. I ran MSCONFIG and checked the Autoexec.Bat files. If I am not mistaken, normally, the Autoexec.Bat file should contain around 3 or 4 commands in intelligible english, however I found that the file contained almost 9 or 10 commands all of which were a combination of a few english alphabets and a lot of odd looking symbols. I am absolutely certain that this problem was not there the last time that I started my computer. I am puzzled as to what could have happened overnight in a shut down/power off computer to create this error. I would really appreciate any help/suggestions to sort out this problem.

Hi MAK213, you are giving me the jitters. Please dont keep telling me that my system has been hacked, tell me what action I can take to come out of this situation. They say that "Every Problem Has A Solution" , I also firmly believe in the diktat "Seek & Thou Shalt Find"-- well, I am seeking and seeking and hopefully should find. Meanwhile, I would be grateful for any help in seeking.

None really, you system is that old an unpatched / unsupported there is no real solution to your problems, the way i see it there is no real way to see a end to them is put the old dinosaur to rest and buy or build yourself a new system.

I am sorry that you dont want to hear the truth about what can be happening to your system. I am sorry that you dont believe that a system that is 20 years old and no longer supported or patched could be vulnerable to something like this.

But that is the truth. There are several flaws which have not been patched in Win 98SE beginning with the DNS Flaw which is MAJOR! So you think that something as major as a flaw in the core infastructure of the internet that each and EVERY OS had to have a patch for but Win 95, 95SE, ME and other versions of Linux and OS X that are not supported i can not help you with that.

Seek and Thou shall find that some problems do not have answers but to update to a system that is secure and can be protected. Not every computer problem has a solution cause sometimes the solution involves a update that just is not out there. What then?

I am giving you a answer that is the most honest and truthful one out there. I am telling you about the major security flaws that your machine has and how it can be used against you in the most serious of ways. But you dont want to hear it that is fine.

Your only solution will be to search Google. Win98 isnt supported and there are few, including myself who used 98SE for a number of years, that can still remember how to fix every one of those errors. Most of us have been on XP for the past 7 years.

Since there is nothing good on Google you will have to do a reinstall. That is about all that can be said. Sorry that you dont like to hear this. Sorry that it may sound harsh. But it is the truth. Win 98SE is not something you should use and DEFINITELY not something you should have on the internet. More so than ever if you have ANY sort of personal data on that computer.

Absolutely right, Mak ! Yeah, ditch that OS and computer. Nowadays you can build your own machine for a reasonable price. Or you could buy a used one (not as good of an idea, but an option), one with XP, or Vista. Could even build one and put on Linux, another good choice. If you are a gamer (probably not if you have Win98), you would benefit from the newer Windows OSes.

Mak is being, honest and nice. Simply put (my own words, not Mak's) - get a new system ASAP. And more to the point, things in life aren't always nice to hear, but necessary at times.

I dismantled my PC and got the motherboard and power supply unit checked. It seems that some capacitors had gone bad in both these units. I had the capacitors changed and now the system is up and running like nothing was ever wrong with it. As I had already formatted my HD, I successfully upgraded from Win98SE to Win2000Pro. Now I am busy trying to salvage all the data that I lost in this entire confounding episode that had me knocking my head against a wall. As I wrote earlier, every problem has a solution, you only have to keep seeking till you find it. Anyway, thanks a million, guys, for all your inputs.
"Wish All of You A Very Happy & Prosperous New Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom