win98 se

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you can not buy 98 from M$. They will tell you that they no longer support it as of July 11th. They will tell you to get XP. It is now abondoned by M$. They are not doing any more patches for it or anything. They are going to do a limited online support for 1 more year. That is it.

Try and buy 98 from them. I bet you will be told to buy XP. They have nothing to do with 98 at all now. Even thay have said so. That is why they wont patch that critical flaw that is in it.

Being the proud "owner" of Windows 98 Second Edition, the news was a bit sad, but I guess that was kind of inevitable. Sometimes good things have to pass and make space for newer things, although I am not exactly certain whether or not the "new" products are technically superior than their predecessors.

They both have their ups and downs. What you may want to purchase depends entirely on your preferences.

If you want Windows 98, that's good. If you want Windows XP, then that's also good.

Obviously, Microsoft is going to support programs that produce more profit then wasting time catering to our needs.

Well with software newer is kinda better. Since 98 was based on old code and old technology it has been hacked and slashed to pieces. With XP you get a little more security and piece of mind that comes with that.

True that not everyone needs what XP has to offer. More than half of the people that use PC's are probably only using them for EMail and internet. Which 98 can do just fine. But unfortunately there are also some major flaws in 98 that allow hackers to take over the PC's easier. That is why XP is such a major importance for people and businesses alike to get onto.

Now Vista on the other hand is a completely different story. Yes it offers even more security but you need some beefy hardware to run it. Which obviously most people dont want or need for their daily tasks. So that is a uphill battle for M$ to convince everyone that they need Vista.

My suggestion is to check you specs and see if you can run XP. If you canupgrade since it is worth it. The flaw in 98 is so bad that M$ said they would have to recode it to more match Windows 2000. The flaw resides in the OS itself. So that is bad.

In my humble opinion:

If running all the apps I use regularly (which is far beyond the scope of just cruising the info highway and e-mail) using less than a third of the memory that XP and higher os require is a flaw, I guess 98SE is just terrible ;) !! I have 98se, pclinux, xp home and vista beta on my old machine. 98SE out-performs them all by far. (Pclinux a close second but unfortunately the os doesn't support my favorite toys.) Also have XP home on a little Compaq I picked up cheap with 3x's the processor speed and it is not as responsive or reliable as my 98SE. I find that having a router, up-to-date antivirus and firewall software (not to mention not wasting time anymore in chat rooms where the bored cracker wanna be's hang out) keeps my systems secure enough. As os's become more and more "idiot proof" they become more annoying because of their nagging and they're resource hogs. I can't remember where I found it but there's someone who has actually made a *service pack* of all the updates to windows 98se, very handy. Just pick yourself up a cheap copy of the os on e-bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom