win98 se

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
Can I d/l a copy of the system online and install it on an old computer? If so, can someone provide me with a link. I appreciate any help.

talldude123 said:
If i'm not mistaken, Windows 98 can be installed on as many computers as you want. It's not like XP.

Microsoft dont sell software, they sell liceneces and the average licence you buy is for one computer only. This applies to both XP and Win98 the difference being that XP enforces the licencing policy via activation and wga.

Downloading Windows 98 Second Edition without a license is illegal. The license contains a string of numbers nessecary to complete the installation process. It's one license per computer.

However, with only one license, there's nothing stopping you from installing a copy onto multiple machines. But technically, you're not supposed to do that.

If you are thinking about buying Windows 98 Second Edition, why don't you check on websites like eBay or TradeMe? The discs can be obtained for pretty cheap there, and you won't be breaking any laws either.

Vetusware offers free downloadable copies of Windows 95 but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Condraz23 said:
If you are thinking about buying Windows 98 Second Edition, why don't you check on websites like eBay or TradeMe? The discs can be obtained for pretty cheap there, and you won't be breaking any laws either.

prolly bootlegged / burnt copies.

Since 98, 98SE and ME are not longer supported by M$ they are considered Vaporware and can be done with as you choose.

They are also known as Abondonware. Since M$ doesnt support them you can download them from some sites and use any key you find.

Makaveli213 said:
Since 98, 98SE and ME are not longer supported by M$ they are considered Vaporware and can be done with as you choose.

They are also known as Abondonware. Since M$ doesnt support them you can download them from some sites and use any key you find.

Rubbish, thats called piracy. Abandonware is quite seperate, i.e. no company holding the copyright & no availiability.
Microsoft do still "support" win98 in the legal sense, msdos 6 too infact, you can still buy these operating systems from microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom