Win98 Logon Access Denied to Win2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
Howdy everyone,

I'm having quite a perplexing problem.
In part of our network, we have Windows 98 computers (and old ones at that) logging into a Windows 2000 Server. Up until now, we've had very few problems... at least none like this.

Last week, everything was working fine, but as of today, our Win98 machines are denied logon access to the domain. Most password errors are greeted with the yellow exclamation point saying no domain was able to process blah blah blah. However, we are confronted with the dreaded red X dialog box and "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied."

Nothing appears in the Event Viewer when a logon is attempted. Because of this, it appears to me that the password isn't even being processed at all. We have begun reformatting one server, but we are attempting to find a way to work around this problem on another part of our network facing the exact same situation.

We've done quite a bit of googling and have found some possible remedies, but none have worked so far. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance, unless we find a solution with which I will follow-up and post.

Woot! We fixed the problem.

We found Event Code 5774 under event viewer/ system. This error was posting every few seconds. According to Microsoft, Error Code 5774 says the DNS address associated with the domain must be at the top of the DNS address list on the primary domain controller. Although MS suggested starting and stopping the netlogon service, a reboot was necessary and thus cleared our problem up immediately.

Any comments are welcome, but I think we're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom