Win98, can't load drivers w/o CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeannaLW

Beta member
I'm attempting to load USB cablemodem drivers on a DELL WebPC. I have the correct drivers, however, when I load them onto the computer it needs the Windows 98 SE CD. I don't have the CD. To my knowledge, the computer originally came from a school or library, a friend of mine either bought it or it was given to him, and now he wants me to "fix it" :p

The computer has no NIC card; just about everything is done through USB, even keyboard and mouse. I need to do the cablemodem through USB as well.

It's nearly impossible to install anything without getting requests to insert the Windows 98 SE CD.

Is there anywhere I can download the needed files, so that I stop getting this request? Or, any other workaround?

Thanks.

Windows 98 is almost 9 years old. Upgrade and then ask for help.

That, and I wouldn't plug a computer running Windows 98 into the internet, chances are your computer will be totally pwn3d in like 10 minutes from plugging it into the internet.

I doubt the computer could handle an upgrade, but that's beside the point. It's not mine; hence, it's not my job to upgrade it, nor do I have permission to do so. Anyway, I've used Win98 online on several computers; if you use your computer *intelligently* it is perfectly safe.

However, being that the system IS old, I'm sure someone else has had the same problem in the past 9-ish years. Could anyone else be of assistance?

Thanks for your response. That's exactly what I'd like to do, and that's my question. Where/how can I download it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom