Win7 Ultimate won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I just put a new (old) rig together and loaded Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit.

Installation went okay, and I managed to get through the first set of updates.
Also installed CPU-Z and HWMonitor to make sure everything was running fine (temps are all normal).

Now it's a roll of the dice whether or not Windows will actually load.
The majority of the time it will post and go to loading Windows, but then freeze right as the orbs are starting to form.

Google'd it and got some weird answers like "my Corsair TX950 PSU was the problem".

I did do a registry edit, as instructed by my University's IT department where I bought Win7, so that I could install the upgrade version (only one they carry) on a bare drive.

So, any thoughts?

Roll back the updates to see if one cause the issue.

One time had an update make a PC unbootable. Only fix was to completely reinstall windows, install updates one by one until i found which was the culprit.

Well its currently loading/configuring SP1 (told me to reboot @ ~30% then froze on load again).

Once it finishes I'll try to install again, any recollection of which update was the one that gave you problems?

I don't, i just know if a system critical update doesn't finalize properly or install correctly, the system is unusable and you usually can't roll the update back.

You shouldn't be restarting the PC during the installs, it should reboot by itself.

Yeah wording there is a little dodgy, the system rebooted @ ~30% then froze.

Oh well, DBAN'ing this drive and I'll see if the installation goes better next time.

There ya go, and if it's SP1 that it crapped out on, do a system backup before that so you have something to install if it goes wrong again.

:doh: started DBAN before reading about backing up.

Formatted, reinstalled, activated; its loading fine but I haven't updated anything yet.
Will start doing updates when I get back from work and see how it goes.

*Edit
Got updated to SP1 without a problem, no more freezing.
Received a message about unstable overclock on one of the reboots (even though speeds read stock) and gave me the option to restore defaults, guessing that was the issue even though it was clearing post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom