Win7, POST ok, then nowt....

Status
Not open for further replies.

moominboy

Beta member
Hi guys, in advance any help given is very much appreciated!

A friend has given me their laptop to try and repair. Powers on fine, fairly quick to show up Safe Mode options, (no F8, it just goes there.)

I have tried all the various Safe Mode options but they all end up the same result, after the text the screen stays black with no keys doing anything that I can see but the pointer still moves around?

I'm pretty sure they've picked up some *ware somewhere which has corrupted the start-up files but wanted to pick your fine brains in case anyone had a quick fix, or at least quick test to see what it is.

No errors reported on Safe Mode start-up. It's an ACER with Win7 Pro I believe.

Go into command prompt and type in fixmbr and (I forget the other one)

Can you also load last good configuration? Or a System Restore?

Sounds like a possible hardware conflict....... As there seems to be nothing wrong with it booting, fixing the mbr won't do much.

I'd try booting with safe mode and using msconfig, and use selective booting with nothing checked to see if it boots.

If it does then boot with 1 box check, then repeat with each one.

Something is conflicting that comes after booting.

Have you ever used a

Have you tried to do a clean install yet? I realize that you'll lose whatever data you have, but it is a way to try to get things working, or at least attempt to.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

My next attempt was going to be a Win7 Install disc to see if it could repair it, after that Ubuntu would be my next call. Just wanted to see if anyone had an idea. Yes, it seems like it's going to start in safe mode, all the cmd checks appear ok but as if explorer.exe doesn't initialise? So, black screen, no icons, not even invisible but there if you follow. Just the pointer.

Ok, thanks guys!

Right, I've actually got the Microsoft loading bar coming up now, so I'm starting to think it's not so much a boot or start up issue as such. Just seems like the desktop (explorer.exe?) Is missing. I've tried several restore points so far but it's the exact same.

Could a virus have corrupted boot or start up files image in sys restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom