Win7: 2 Networks...Intermittant Loss of Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4man

Baseband Member
hello again, mates...(it's been years, i think)...

just came over from XP Pro...had to get a 64-Bit machine; & went w/ an ASUS running Win7 Home...which I upgraded to Pro.

I began to lose my internet connectivity, intermittantly...& noticed that, when it happened, the Network icon in the task bar showed TWO networks...(???)...

...one labeled 'Network - No Internet Access'...

...& the other labeled: 'Unidentified Network - No Internet Access'.

Sometimes the problem would go away if i rebooted, but eventually it became a permanent dilemna.

Verizon checked my modem...said it was fine, but sent me a new one anyway. Same problem continued.

Took the PC back to Best But & swapped it for a new one...& it's been fine 'till this evening. It denied me access once...I rebooted; & got it back.

Obviously, something is amis w/ Win 7 Pro in the way the network connection is set up...can't be two modems or two computers.

anyone have any thoughts on how to rectify this problem...???

thanx,

mark4man

UPDATE: on the above problem, I noticed it seems to happen right around the time that the OS goes looking for windows updates

UPDATE (WEIRDNESS) #2: not in the same category...sorry, but...turned the machine on this morning & windows could not find my desktop. rebooted & there it was. (they don't really have this thing fully ironed out yet, do they?)

Haha yes Windows 7 is ironed out, especially now that they have SP1 out there. There are millions of people using the OS without any issues. There could be something screwy with your OS but lets not jump to conclusions.

First off the very first issue you reported, do you have to NIC's installed? You probably have one wired network and one wireless. If this is the case you are going to show to network icons in the system tray. You may have one of hte connections hidden and it shows up when it becomes disconnected. The best way to see what connections you have available to you is to go to control panel>network and internet>network and sharing center>change adapter settings. This shows you haw many connections you have.

Now that you have a new PC - sounds like it may have been a bad NIC. Have you tried swapping your ethernet cable?

As for the desktop that happens from time to time - happens on my XP machine at work. Just go to task manager, click new task and type explorer.

lex...

when the problem occurs...i show TWO networks at the network icon in the task area.

when i'm connected properly...it only shows one. it's a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Attempting to update thru Device manager tells me i have the latest & greatest...so does driver robot.

i'm on my second PC & second modem...so i doubt it's either of those.

i disabled windows updates...& it still happens...so it's not that

thanx,

mark4man

Where did you install drivers for that adapter from? I've had problems with that adapter before due to drivers. Its been a couple weeks, have you gotten any progress with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom