Win2k3 Server...Running as an ftp server - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to A_Zip1
Default Win2k3 Server...Running as an ftp server

i was just wondering considering it is called Windows 'Server' 2003 if thier is any built in FTP servers er anything in it.. becuase i want to run an ftp server... but im using Serv-U and im having so many problems... people trying to connect keep on gettting timed out.. but yeh ive bin looking all over the place and the closest thing i found on information on win2k3 being able 2 transfer files is.. on this site... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ew/family.mspx it sais under the 'Server Roles' that win2k3 can function as a 'Streaming media server.' but i havent found any documentation on how i would go about doing this... but all i really want to do is just share files with my friends and what not.. through an FTP type environment... any help guyz???

Old 11-14-2003, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

ohh yeh and im running 'Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition'

Old 11-14-2003, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
the flaming hermit

Send a message via ICQ to þÄ®âÐÖx Send a message via Yahoo to þÄ®âÐÖx

Here ya go: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323384
Hopefully that's enough to get you started...

If you don't have any luck with IIS, you could also try Bulletproof FTP or SlimFTPd, both of which require very little configuration to get running properly.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

i've had problems with serv-u also. it was giving me wrong password errors for no reason. i think the next thing to try is bulletproof. good luck, and tell me what you find
Old 11-15-2003, 01:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

using Win2K3 is the best option because there are many different functions available with this than there are with ServU
Old 11-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

ohh yeah thanks þÄ®âÐÖx i followed the document and got the server up... so yeh and i do like the FTP server thats built into Win 2k3 but the only thing i dont like is u cant really tell whose connected and what thier download and upload speeds are... and u can with Serv-U, is thier any programs out thier that u can like watch all the ports open on ur computer and the IP adresses and see how fast each one is going?... i would imagine thier would be... or even sumthen simpler thats like already thier that i havent seen to watch peoples downloads and uploads through the ftp server on win2k3....

Closed Thread