Win2k won't boot/keeps restarting! Memory prob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryforceful

Solid State Member
Ugh!

I was trying to get my friend's computer to run faster earlier today -- it's running Win2k w/ a 1.4GHz Athlon and some crappy configuration of PC100 memory. So I'm on windows and I want to install a fresh copy of WinXP on a new hard drive I brought with me to add on to their system. Meanwhile (not sure if this is pertinent, but: ) Windows Update was installing and wanted a restart, but instead I just shut down and inserted the new hard drive and tried to change around the memory configuration with some cards of my own to get it running faster, but when I rebooted it would > NEVER boot back up fully again! < It goes through the booting process very slowly, and then at a random point completely restarts, barely ever getting to the Windows UI. Errors range from memory address failures during boot, to important bg applications like explorer, svc, & dr. watson halting when it (rarely) gets through the boot to Windows, to no error explanation at all. :(

For some reason his config won't let me access the WinXP cd during bootup to install the software w/o needing to boot, so I'd need to install from within the UI I assume, which I can't get to. I tried repairing the installation with the 2k disk, and using different memory and booting to safe mode... all to no avail. Sadly I had to leave my friend's home early, so not only do I feel terrible that it's not fixed but I don't know when I'll be able to get back and do something about it! He's giving me a call tomorrow (8/1/05), so if anyone out there has some sort of solution as to how I can > fix the windows 2000 installation or get the xp cd to be recognized or install < by then, that would be amazing. Is it the memory? or the windows installation which has corrupted? (note, some installation processes even halt to memory failures, so i guess it might be that?)

-Tryforceful

(Thanks!)

His system requires DIMMs and can only take 2, and what I have on me is:

(3) infineon 256mb pc100
(2) 128mb pc133
(1) 128mb pc100
(1) like 64,32?mb pc100

and it doesn't seem to like the infineons, maybe because they have chips on both sides of the memory modules? I heard that DIMMs only have them on one side or something. A problem is, though, that even with let's say 256 installed, it will only recognize maybe 176mb? seems like a comletely random number to recognize....

and as far as "bad memory"... ugh i don't want to think about that lol. just curious, how could you tell exactly if it's "bad"? i'm assuming it doesn't have to be fried completely to be bad.

thanks for the replies,
Tryforceful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom