Win2k IIS (IE?) Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shabbs

Beta member
We're running IIS on a Win 2k platform and whenever I try to connect to any of the sites on the server in IE using the domain name I get a page not found. The domain is translated to an IP as it says in the status bar "connecting to 12.xx.xx.xx" but it never does. Now this happens only after a period of inactivity, such as turning off the computer for a day or letting it sit on a page for a while. This only happens with the local sites, I can browse the web just fine. The way I get it fixed is by going into my lan connection properties, click all the buttons then set them back to the way they were and then hit ok. Now I can get to the sites just fine. I can't tell if this has something to do with our firewall, something in IIS or if it's something in Win2k, as 2 of us have this problem with win2k, but the person on win98 doesn't (which makes me think it's win2k). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to add an entry into the hosts file? I was having a similiar issue with my web server. From outside the network, I could connect up all day long, but as soon as I tried to access it from inside the network (where the web server resides), I'd get a page cannot be displayed. I made a hosts entry to my local machine using the internal IP addy and it worked just fine.

Dsrt, yes we did try that after I posted the message and it worked for us as well. Not sure why it does that, but now that it's fixed I don't really care :) thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom