Win2k domain issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjcarr

Solid State Member
I have a Win2k Server setup, and I named the domain the same name as our website (although the website is hosted externally). So let's say I named my domain "abc.com". When I go to abc.com through my browser I get an error. Can't find it. But I can browse every other external site (Yahoo, Google, etc.) except abc.com. Sounds like I royally screwed the pooch naming the Win2K domain as I did. I am assuming that the DNS on the Win2k Server is taking over when abc.com is entered in the browser.

Interestingly, this problem only exists as long as the Win2k Server DNS is the first entry in the client DNS list. If I make the Win2k DNS IP second and use another DNS (208.57.0.11, for example) , I can see abc.com fine. Unfortunately I get a bunch of errors in the client's event log for unresolved DNS issues. So I need to have the Win2k Server be the first DNS entry in the client networking IP settings to eliminate these errors.

I'd rather not rename the domain to something else since I've been spending the past few days tweaking everything. But I am pretty sure that will solve the problem. Anyone know a workaround to this issue? Maybe some sort of DNS forwarding entry?

Help!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Win2kpatcher said:
what was problem?

I needed to add a forward lookup zone to DNS for www and the IP address of the site. I also had to add entried for ftp, smtp, mail, etc.

Now I have a new issue. I can reach my site by typing http://www.abc.com or www.abc.com. But I cannot get to it by typing abc.com.

Any idea if this problem is related?

Most likely DNS, yes..or maybe you have to register that domain shortcut with some type of internet service for the search to be able to find the main website? Not sure how that works. I can ask our web people at work if someone cant help you here.

Thanks for the help. If you come up with anything let me know. I haven't found the answer yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom