Win2000server w/SBS 2000 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

Here at work, we have a Windows 2000 server with Small Business Server 2000 for exchange. I'm not quite sure how the e-mails work with this system. Can someone please give me a detailed step by step explanation on how the e-mails from the outside goes through. Correct me if i'm wrong but this is what i know of so far:

E-mail goes to the internet then goes through our Firewall which is scanned for viruses. After the firewall, the e-mails goes to the exhange server where another layer of scanning is performed. Once it's scanned, it goes to a queue folder (e:\program files\exchangesrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\ queue). because of spam, there is a lot of invalid e-mail addresses here that gets stuck but the valid ones gets sent to the "pick up" folder where the SMTP service picks it up and delegates the e-mails. After trying to send the e-mails certain amount of times, the queue folder gives up and sends it to "badMail" folder. in this folder, i'm confused because there are 3 file extensions. .bad, .bdp, and .bdr. (what are those?). i went to DOS prompt and typed "del *.bad" and my free space increased more than 1 gig! should i also delete the .bdp and .bdr?

anyways, sorry for the long post but this exhange stuff is pretty difficult. Can someone please help me out with the system flow of e-mails?

Thank you in advance!!!

Do we have Exchange experts in this board? Someone please help me out. is my explanation not clear enough or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom