Win2000 doesn't recognize my 2nd harddrive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Win2000 doesn't recognize my 2nd harddrive

Hi all,

I though I was an experienced Windoze user, but I guess I still have a bit to learn. This is what happened - I upgraded from Win 98 to Win 2000 Pro and the installation went through flawlessly. My configuration was (is) as follows HD1 (Quantum Fireball - Primary Master), HD2 (Seagate Barracuda - Primary Slave), CD1 (DVD - Secondary Master) and CD2 (CDRW - Secondary Slave). HD1 has three partitions (Win 2000 - FAT32 (drive C:), Linux - SWAP and Linux - ext3) and HD2 has two FAT32 partitions (drives D: and E:). This configuration worked perfectly fine with Win98SE. After the update to Win2000 Pro however, I can only see HD1 with the C: partition (naturally the Linux partitions are invisible). Windows DOES NOT recognize second harddrive (HD2) and the D: and E: partitions are inaccessible. BIOS recognizes both harddrives and so does Linux (I can even access them and use them from Linux). I guess Windows sees them (or at least knows about them) as well because I can access C: and both DVD (F:) and CDRW (G:) - this means that there are two letters missing (D: and E:) - corresponding to my two missing partitions. Also in "Administrative Tools" in the "Device Manager" I can see two harddrives present: Quantum FireballLP LM30 and ST380021A. However - in "System information" -> "Components" -> "Storage" -> "Drives" I only see the "C:" drive. Also in "System Tools" -> "Storage" -> "Disk Management" and "Logical Drives" there is only C: - ergo the second hard drive missing. I downloaded the Seagate Disc setup utility but it forces me to reformat and/or repartition the drive which is unacceptable because there is data I don't want to lose. I suspect this is a Windows - rather than a hardware - problem. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Old 06-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

the barracudas r fast drives like 10000 or 15000 rpms, correct? u dont need specific drivers or something for them do u. that is my only guess

Fear is nothing but the anticipation of pain, be it physical, mental, spiritual or emotional.
Athlon XP 2200+ oc\'ed @ 1.93ghz
MSI ms-6738
768mb ddr2100
Nvidia mx420 :(
60gig maxtor 7200rpm
Dual boot with Mandrake 10.0 and Win XP Pro sp2
Old 06-07-2004, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Followup

This is is 7200 rpm - about 3 years old. I still don't know how to fix it but I noticed that a freshly installed Windows 2000 recognizes the drives without a problem. It is the Service Pack 4 that screws everything up. For now I just didn't install it, and I am still looking for a solution.
Closed Thread