Win2000 doesn't recognize my 2nd harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasasmir

Beta member
Hi all,

I though I was an experienced Windoze user, but I guess I still have a bit to learn. This is what happened - I upgraded from Win 98 to Win 2000 Pro and the installation went through flawlessly. My configuration was (is) as follows HD1 (Quantum Fireball - Primary Master), HD2 (Seagate Barracuda - Primary Slave), CD1 (DVD - Secondary Master) and CD2 (CDRW - Secondary Slave). HD1 has three partitions (Win 2000 - FAT32 (drive C:), Linux - SWAP and Linux - ext3) and HD2 has two FAT32 partitions (drives D: and E:). This configuration worked perfectly fine with Win98SE. After the update to Win2000 Pro however, I can only see HD1 with the C: partition (naturally the Linux partitions are invisible). Windows DOES NOT recognize second harddrive (HD2) and the D: and E: partitions are inaccessible. BIOS recognizes both harddrives and so does Linux (I can even access them and use them from Linux). I guess Windows sees them (or at least knows about them) as well because I can access C: and both DVD (F:) and CDRW (G:) - this means that there are two letters missing (D: and E:) - corresponding to my two missing partitions. Also in "Administrative Tools" in the "Device Manager" I can see two harddrives present: Quantum FireballLP LM30 and ST380021A. However - in "System information" -> "Components" -> "Storage" -> "Drives" I only see the "C:" drive. Also in "System Tools" -> "Storage" -> "Disk Management" and "Logical Drives" there is only C: - ergo the second hard drive missing. I downloaded the Seagate Disc setup utility but it forces me to reformat and/or repartition the drive which is unacceptable because there is data I don't want to lose. I suspect this is a Windows - rather than a hardware - problem. Does anyone have any advice for me?

the barracudas r fast drives like 10000 or 15000 rpms, correct? u dont need specific drivers or something for them do u. that is my only guess

Followup

This is is 7200 rpm - about 3 years old. I still don't know how to fix it but I noticed that a freshly installed Windows 2000 recognizes the drives without a problem. It is the Service Pack 4 that screws everything up. For now I just didn't install it, and I am still looking for a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom