From WIN XP to WIN VISTA ULTIMATE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a few hundred $ to spend. I'm a little bored in the WiNXP interface so I'm planning to upgrade to VISTA ULT. Putting money aside as a factor, will Vista be "better" than XP PRO?

Stats: P4 2.8 GHZ, 2gb pc2700 ram, 512mb 7600gs graphics card.

All I'm planning to run is the:

CS3 (Photoshop, Premiere Pro)

and some apps like:

Firefox, VLC Media Player, Super (vid conversion software), iTunes, Microsoft Office 2007, NOD 32 3, Zone Alarm Pro

I'm also concerned if my sound or network drivers won't be recognized in vista. I'm using the SONY VAIO pcv-rs 430g.

First off get Home Premium. UIltimate is not worth it. There are 3 Extras and no more in the works right now. So basically you are paying all that money for Home Premium with 3 extras.

Other than that Google for hte Vista Upgrade Advisor. That will tell you what, if any, hardware problems you might have. You can also download and burn your drivers to a CD or put them on a USB stick. Go to the Sony site and see if they have Vista compatible drivers there. If so download them and store them somewhere safe.

As for your Apps questions...CS3 works, Firefox works, VLC works, iTunes works, Office 2007 works, NOD32 works, ZA Pro doesnt but the Internet Security does. ZA has not gotten a Pro version to work on Vista yet i dont think. Check their site to know for sure.

Also google for the ieXBeta Wiki. There they have a full compatibility list of VIsta software that works and doesnt work and which version they work on.

The only one i think you will have issues with is Super. You will have to check thier site to see if they made a Vista version. If not you might be able to run that in XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Honestly i would stick with XP until you build a new machine. The people you hear griping about vista are usually the people who are trying to put it on an older machine that either cant handle it or cant find drivers for 2-3 year old components.

His specs are more than fine. The CPU is a tad slow at 2.8 but it is faster than some AMD's that run it flawlessly. With haveing 2GB of RAM and a 512MB Vid Card Home Premium would run just fine on it.

Ya thats true, but i still just think its pointless to purchase a new OS when you already have a working one. Unless of course the current OS was obtained using less than legal ways and you just want to go legit.

as far as will i have problems? no not if your system can hack running vista, im sure it will, even if it struggles or its abit slow you can turn on Aero if you really had to.
I upgraded from XP pro to Vista ultimate a week ago and i havent looked back since, im a gamer so ive got loads of hardware(graphics card, x-fi sound card etc) that i MUST have working 100% properly and it does, everything installed fine.
Vista is only getting better from here on out, the full service pack is out in a matter of 4-5months aswell.
Id say get it, then you will always have the disc so you can install it onto a new pc if and when needed

P.s i agree with going for home premium rather than Ultimate

I don't know if it'll run too well on a Pentium 4. You probably want at least a dual-core processor.

Also, I would recommend the Business edition over the Home one; the Home edition has the 'fun' features like media center, movie maker and picture viewer, while the business edition has the 'practical' features like backup features, remote access and fax/scan support.

And if you have any applications you can't live without, make **** sure they'll work in Vista before you upgrade.

I run Ultimate on a P4 3.4GHz with 3GB of RAM and no lag or anything. A P4 can run Vista just fine. Dont need a Dual or Quad core cause it isnt coded to make use of htem.

Plus the Backup feature is ofund in Ultimate. It may not be in Home Prem but you can use Acronis to make a image or backup. Just as easily. Remote Access isnt necessary. I turn it off since i dont ever plan on having someone remote access my PC. Nopt even me.

Fax/Scan is supported in all versions. Not just Business.

There are 3 Extras and no more in the works right now. So basically you are paying all that money for Home Premium with 3 extras..

What are those 3 extras?

Honestly i would stick with XP until you build a new machine. The people you hear griping about vista are usually the people who are trying to put it on an older machine that either cant handle it or cant find drivers for 2-3 year old components.

I have had my computer for more than 5 years. Will I have trouble finding the drivers? I mean its sony so yeah...

His specs are more than fine. The CPU is a tad slow at 2.8 but it is faster than some AMD's that run it flawlessly. With haveing 2GB of RAM and a 512MB Vid Card Home Premium would run just fine on it.

I hope so.

Ya thats true, but i still just think its pointless to purchase a new OS when you already have a working one. Unless of course the current OS was obtained using less than legal ways and you just want to go legit.

I was thinking the same. But then again why do people buy iPods instead of the superior Zune? Because of the interface. And I like Vista's interface and such.

as far as will i have problems? no not if your system can hack running vista, im sure it will, even if it struggles or its abit slow you can turn on Aero if you really had to.
I upgraded from XP pro to Vista ultimate a week ago and i havent looked back since, im a gamer so ive got loads of hardware(graphics card, x-fi sound card etc) that i MUST have working 100% properly and it does, everything installed fine.
Vista is only getting better from here on out, the full service pack is out in a matter of 4-5months aswell.
Id say get it, then you will always have the disc so you can install it onto a new pc if and when needed

P.s i agree with going for home premium rather than Ultimate

Hey this post was pretty helpful. Thanks!

I run Ultimate on a P4 3.4GHz with 3GB of RAM and no lag or anything. A P4 can run Vista just fine. Dont need a Dual or Quad core cause it isnt coded to make use of htem.

Plus the Backup feature is ofund in Ultimate. It may not be in Home Prem but you can use Acronis to make a image or backup. Just as easily. Remote Access isnt necessary. I turn it off since i dont ever plan on having someone remote access my PC. Nopt even me.

Fax/Scan is supported in all versions. Not just Business.

I need help on where to find my drivers right now. Can someone guide me? What information do you need from me? I need to be prepared to upgrade. What are the checklist I need so everything is working fine? I will do a clean install to Vista Ultimate. I will buy it at Bestbuy later on this weekend.

What are some firewall alternatives that works on Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom