Win xp, will it erase?? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by furtivefelon
again, if your using the OS comes with dell, you have no hope at all of making it work on custom built PCs.. (that is, if you want to keep it legal )
Why not?

Old 07-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Techie

well, because they have proprietary OEM install... and it will only identify Dell hardware (possibly that specific machine).. as Dell's hardware is not generic.. that's why you have to buy components from certified dell venders (i believe, that was 1 year ago, when i returned my dell desktop because of that..)

browse with: opera
Old 07-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Argh, now I have to spend $90 on win xp.

Someone in another forum told me to call microsoft and tell them that i upgraded my comp, not a new one, and they'll sort it out.

But I'm afraid they'd find out somehow that it is a new one.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master Techie

Dude, as I said above...your Dell CD is worthlwss except for your specific dell machine. You might as well suck it up, like the rest of us, and give Bill mo money! And, as I said above....even if you have a CD key....chances are, you won't be able to register windows and would need a reinstall every 30 days. This has gotten redundant.. You can call microsoft but there is like a 25 digit code produced by the install software that will alert micorsoft to the registered owner of the key. you want to run the risk of having them L@@K at you a little closer? And......$90 busks only buys you the Home Edition upgrade. you'll still need a copy of 95, 98, 98SE or ME to install that!! Micorsoft is EVIL!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Techie

Heyyo,

Whoa there buddy! Don't buy another copy of windowsxp. You have a legal cd key. Go down to a nearby comp shop or a bud n' ask if you can borrow a windows xp cd. probably home edition. You have a legal cd key. the cd you use it on shouldn't matter. I know you can buy like cd keys straight from m$ and have multiple copies of windows and that's legal, as long as you have a legal cd key is the magic word buddy.

Oh, btw, don't format you HD, you only need to reinstall windows over your existing copy of windows on there. Your files should be fine, might have to reinstall some programs if you can't backup the existing registry, but better than then trying to rebuild all your lost files eh?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Quintox
Argh, now I have to spend $90 on win xp.

Someone in another forum told me to call microsoft and tell them that i upgraded my comp, not a new one, and they'll sort it out.

But I'm afraid they'd find out somehow that it is a new one.
Dude, just call them. What are they going to do that you aren't already expecting? At best, they'll send you a new CD and it'll cost you like $3 for shipping. No big deal. At worst, they'll so "no, we can't support that with your current OEM license" and you'll have to buy. Relax. You won't know until you try.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 07-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

So should I call them and tell them that I want to put my win xp that was on my dell onto my new comp?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Techie

I can't wait to hear what MS has to say about that!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Jeez I'm so confused. Should I:

a) Call up microsoft and tell them everything.
b) Find a win xp CD and use the product key
c) Something else

If I do B, that wont work b/c its already registered. I think my best bet is to do A.

?? Am i correct??
Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Thumbs up

Do B!!!! First, do the rest if B fails