Win XP System Restore...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhi255

Baseband Member
I am trying to restore my win XP but when i start system restore utility (start-->> all programs-->> accessories-->> system tools-->> syatem restore) it shows me nothing,its a blank white screen(no options).
Is there any way possible that i can follow to restore my computer.

Helps appritiated

Restart the machine... while its booting up... continually press
F8 to access options.... check the last known good.
Does it have any restore points ?

bradybnmci said:
Restart the machine... while its booting up... continually press
F8 to access options.... check the last known good.
Does it have any restore points ?

Do that and choose safe mode instead of last known good config. and when it boots up some message pops up on there and then click "NO" and it should work!

Thanks for the valuable suggestions.
I have tried both the solutions.
when i choose the last known good configuration, it doesnt show any restore points and straightaway goes to the desktop of my XP.
when i boot it into safe mode and choose the option NO it is doing the same thing, i am getting blank System Restore window.

Is there any other option left......

You've got some work to do: Here are a few possible causes:

CAUSE
This issue may occur if one or more of the Jscript registry key settings are incorrect. This behavior may also occur if the Jscript.dll file is missing or damaged.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order that they are presented.
Method 1: Reregister Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK.
3. Click OK.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK.
6. Click OK.
If either of the files do not register as expected, or if you receive an error message, the system file may be missing or damaged. To extract the missing file in Microsoft Windows XP, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. Click Expand File.
4. In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
5. In the Restore from box, type the path of the Windows XP .cab file where you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.

Note The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD.
6. In the Save file in box, type the path where you want to extract the new file, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
7. Click Expand.
8. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
Open a dialog box that previously experienced the issue that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article. If the issue recurs, go to the next method.
Method 2: Edit the registry
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
The (Default) value data should contain the following value:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JSCRIPT.DLL
If it does not, double-click Default, type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JSCRIPT.DLL in the Value data box, and then click OK.
4. The ThreadingModel value data should contain the following value:
Both
If it does not, double-click ThreadingModel, and then type Both in the Value data box.
5. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c261-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 7.
7. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c262-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\In procServer32
8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to edit this key, and then go to step 9.
9. Exit Registry Editor.

or

Try this: Enable System Restore

or

1. Stop System Restore from running by going to Administrative Tools => Services. Locate it in the listing, right-click, select 'Properties' and Stop it. Then go to the Hidden inf folder in your Windows installation directory, locate the file sr.inf, right-click on it, and select 'Install'.

Let us know

Thanks Warez
It worked!!!
I tried the first method that u suggested,i.e,Reregister Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll
and now i am able to see my System Restore window.

I appritiate your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom