Win XP Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan

Daemon Poster
Just a quck question for the windows people out here...

I recentlly converted my NTFS Windows Xp partition to Fat32 so it's readable by linux...and when i browse through the directory (/mnt/winxp/ or c:\) i'm seeing two files...they might be important...or might not...

hiberfil.sys (239.6 MB) and
pagefile.sys (360.0 MB)

are these files safe to delete or should i keep them around??

If you delete them, they'll just be recreated by Windows the next time you run it. Hiberfil.sys can be removed permanently by disabling hibernation, but pagefile.sys is pretty much necessary. You CAN disable it (by disbling virtual memory), but it would probably lead to very poor performance in Windows.

Just curious, but its not possible to "Convert" a partition from NTFS to FAT32, did you repartition and format?

I have been running XP Pro for 7 months nows with no System Restore and no Pagefile without any troubles at all, not putting down your answer, maybe I am just lucky but it can be done

belveder said:
I have been running XP Pro for 7 months nows with no System Restore and no Pagefile without any troubles at all, not putting down your answer, maybe I am just lucky but it can be done

Cool, your not using a pagefile at all? I have a gig of ram in my pc and I still use the pagefile... much improved performance than relying on conventional memory alone.

Ecniv said:
Just curious, but its not possible to "Convert" a partition from NTFS to FAT32, did you repartition and format?

Hell ya!!! Paradox was right, Partition Magic 8.0 converted NTFS to Fat32. Which was sooooooooo perfect...now some of the work stuff that i need i can do in winders and also i don't have to worry about transfering only a "select few" pictures off of my digital camera to a disk to work with Linux...hahahah I love Linux even more!!! :D

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom