Win XP Pro x64 Edition - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Win XP Pro x64 Edition

I wasn't sure where to post this, software or hardware!?
I finally got my new system together and what do you know, I keep getting a blue screen error after the XP x64 loads all the drivers and then start windows. It says something about checking the disk for errors and viruses. There are neither on my drive, and to just make sure I low level formatted it too, and that message continues to come up.
I've never had this much trouble getting an OS to work. I'm just not seeing it as a hardware problem like it says. Is there something different in this installation process vs. other Windows platforms? Or are there compatibility issues, maybe? I would appreciate any input on this matter, thanks. If it helps I'm running Pentium D 820, so I can't use any other OS.

ASUS StrikerExtreme, WD Raptor 150Gb
4Gb Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 (5-6-6-21) @ 960MHz
LIAN LI PC-V2100APlus II, Sony & BTC DVD Burners
evga e-GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular Power Supply
Old 09-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Win XP Pro x64 Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by icemakr
I wasn't sure where to post this, software or hardware!?
I finally got my new system together and what do you know, I keep getting a blue screen error after the XP x64 loads all the drivers and then start windows. It says something about checking the disk for errors and viruses. There are neither on my drive, and to just make sure I low level formatted it too, and that message continues to come up.
I've never had this much trouble getting an OS to work. I'm just not seeing it as a hardware problem like it says. Is there something different in this installation process vs. other Windows platforms? Or are there compatibility issues, maybe? I would appreciate any input on this matter, thanks. If it helps I'm running Pentium D 820, so I can't use any other OS.
XP64 doesn't work on pentium's processor. only AMD's 64. they tell you that just before you download it. you can run regular xp on your Pentium D 820

Old 09-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

You know I dodn't even see that when I downloaded it. I thought I saw somewhere that it said it required x64, but going back on it it would seem you're right. Thanks

I figured out that the drivers cd that I didn't get with the board has a driver for the ide controller. Now i'm trying to figure out how to get that cd or make a bootable on if possible to auto load those drivers.?
ASUS StrikerExtreme, WD Raptor 150Gb
4Gb Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 (5-6-6-21) @ 960MHz
LIAN LI PC-V2100APlus II, Sony & BTC DVD Burners
evga e-GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular Power Supply
Old 09-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Re: Win XP Pro x64 Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
XP64 doesn't work on pentium's processor. only AMD's 64. they tell you that just before you download it. you can run regular xp on your Pentium D 820
The 820, as with most of Intel's new processors, is 64bit enabled. "EM64T" So I doubt thats the problem.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

can someone tell us what is the different between xp64 and normal xp, is xp64 faster than xp ? since xp64 is 64bit
Old 09-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Eric I thought X64 just didn't work on one brand of pentiums are you saying it's all 64 bit pentiums!
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 09-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

No I think he just didn't realize Intel has 64bit processors. But, either way, all of intel's 64 bit processors except the Itanium will support XP x64.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by cedjunior
No I think he just didn't realize Intel has 64bit processors. But, either way, all of intel's 64 bit processors except the Itanium will support XP x64.
actually I though all intel were Itaniums
Old 09-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

No the Itaniums are the the expensive +$2,000 model processors for servers.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 09-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

well, even with the amd 64bit proc. and all the drivers xp pro 64 bit is still fussy...

"There's one thing that you learn on this job, is that human beings are capable of anything"

If you chase two rabbits, you lose them both

You say tomato... I say cause of death
For sale/trade
http://www.techist.com/pc/f40/fully-...r-fs-t-139695/
Closed Thread