Win XP MCE internet issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Hello again all....

I am once again helping out a friend with a laptop. He was having internet problems, and also a virus that needed to be taken care of. We were under the impression that it was one in the same problem.... WRONG.

The issue is that the internet doesn't work on this. I can connect it to the router, and it gets an IP address, but it is as if there is a hidden firewall blocking ALMOST all the ports. Http (port 80), BLOCKED.... no sites come up, I have tried installing new browers, all have the same issue. FTP & Telnet (21 & 23) are blocked also... I cannot telnet to my NAS box from this computer. Strangly, PINGING Google works FINE, and also the iTunes store, works FINE. I cannot find any installed firewalls except windows firewall, but it is somehow broken, and won't even run for me to try and disable it.

I have installed AVG antivirus, and it found a few things, and they have since been cleaned out. I have CCleaner on it also, that has been run. I tried to install spybot, but it isn't possible, since it installs online, and internet is jacked.

What I would LIKE to do, is just do a re-install of Windows MCE, and see what effect that has on it. The only problem is my buddy doesn't have the re-install disk, and I don't have MCE. I have his CD Key for it, so THATS not a problem (legit key on Windows sticker on laptop), I just need the image for a CD/DVD to do it... any ideas?

Get a torrent. It is legit that way. The Serial is the item that is under the EULA and License agreement with Microsoft. The Media can be distributed by any means. So get yourself a torrent of MCE and have at it.

just for kicks...
you could dl spybot and the includes separately from another computer...
initial finds on the telnet/ftp seem to point to hacking or port scanning attempts...i believe this system is buggered good...ie., it's a dedicated zombie

scrutinize his habits and suggest he alter if need be :D
if you have another Windows machine (or alternate) pull the drive, slave it and scan that way

I would say it's hosed anyways, so you can do as mak suggests or build a disc

edit: and another shot: Download details: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
might help, who knows

Thanks guys for the help!! atomic, tried that utility, it found nothing.....

After several LARGE downloads of torrents, I FINALLY found a legit MCE version that I could burn to disc.... installed it this morning with no troubles.... internet flawless now.

It was wierd.... he gave it to me cause the internet was hosed, and there was this virus implanted on the computer... 'spy shredder' or something like that. I got that un-installed, and after that, the audio went out, WMPlayer wouldn't open (would give insufficient memory error, even though there was 500+ Megs free), media center mode wouldn't start, and the task bar was being screwy.... looks like it's all better now...

Thanks again guys!

Blasted fool I am. I keep forgetting about that trick. That was my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom