Win XP- how many pcs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
I bought a standard license Win XP home edition OS. It is installed on one pc and I am building another pc for my son. Can I legally use the same OS on the pc I'm building for my son?

No, the license is good for only one pc. I beleive that the license is good for one pc as well as a laptop, but I'm not too sure about the laptop thing.

I believe you're legally entitled to three installations. It really should be up to you on what computers you put it; it would be ridiculous to own three computers and have to purchase it three times. I'm not sure what the actual copyright laws have to say about it though.

Re:

Hello,

The single user license only allows installation on one PC and Laptop. No more. This is in legal terms, however... :rolleyes:

Correct. one copy of XP, means installed on one machine. You have to buy a license for each machine you put it on, laptop or not. Every computer with a copy of Windows on it should have it's own license.

Just FYI, I got a legit version of XP Home Ed. On 5 different computers:cool:
But they are all mine.

If you read the EULA you can have WinXP on as many computers as you want. But one copy can only be ran at any one time, by any one cpu.

Here is the excerpt for the EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer,
such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation
Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one
processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

if you know any students at a state university ask them to check with there schools computer department. I got windows xp pro for $25 from UW-Madison. each student is entitled to one disk. i have installed it on well over 20 computers, burnt copies, all work great and can install updates

i have installed it on well over 20 computers, burnt copies, all work great and can install updates

Although it installs and updates ok, it is still illegal (provided more than one computer is turned on at a time). Read the forum rules.

benzimm86 said:
i have installed it on well over 20 computers, burnt copies, all work great and can install updates

the Windows validation thing is gonna eventually screw ya. It's going to validate each copy of Windows, and when it sees that there are so many with the same key, it's going to stop allowing any copy of windows with that key access to the updates site. I'm sure it also flags you somwhere on the MS system, stating that you use a pirated copy of Windows.

And yes, do read the rules before posting. burning a copy of Windows is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom