Win XP Home version -> Serial number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patonb

Golden Master
Okay, have an older system that needs format, but I don't have a disk, just the key. However, I do have a disk with XP Home SP1.

Question is, will the non-sp1 cd key, work with the SP1 disk?

Also have Pro SP2 but all disks are OEM so they can only load 1 system at a time, correct.

Saddly can only find the original xp home in a 6gig d/l. so thats out.

XP SP1 serials will not work with newer XP SP2 and beyond discs. This was something done way back when SP2 was relelased.

Yes OEM's can only be installed on 1 machine at any time.

Yes. A serial from SP1 can work on a SP1 disc. As long as you haev the media to match the serial. Meaning OEM with OEM and Retail with Retail. A OEM serial will not work on a Retail disk.

It should still work. The only time it wouldnt would be anything Pre-SP2 with a SP2 disk.

in my experience sp2 will work with sp1 key. I upgrade everybody sp1 and and no sp machines to sp2 when I reformat them and the disc do see the numbers. but different xp discs of the same nature (ibm home, dell home, retail home etc.) don't work together.

but the xp service pack 3 home and pro disc is another story. it will only work on a few sp2 keys. they work on those newer fancy xp labels only. none of the other sp 2 or before keys will work on it. I'm mad about that one because it would make my installs easier. maybe it's because they are retail discs and most machines are OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom