Win XP and hardware driver compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasin

Solid State Member
Hello,
a friend of mine burn for me a win XP Pro cd and after reformating my pc (initially was using win 98SE) and installing win XP, apparently my pc cannot recognise my graphics and sound card. my pc also cannot recosgise my dsl modem. i checked my sound and graphic card driver cd and it does not say whether the driver is for which OS. furthermore i tried to search for drivers off the net but couldn't find any, most of them are updates or patches.

can any kind soul please help me... thank you

-JASIN-

i checked my sound and graphic card driver cd and it does not say whether the driver is for which OS.

I believe your graphics card and sound card is in your signature and they are pretty new. The sound card or graphics card driver CD must contain the drivers for windows XP.Try manually installing your drivers with the CD from the device manager menu.

Also check windowsupdate website for the latest drivers .

Sign
Codes

Dear Codes,
Thx, i manage to install XP and all the drivers for my hardware and it's working.

Fyi people,
However, i encountered a few problems. Firstly it keeps on restarting say every 10-20mins of usage. I already solve this by opening up my CPU casing and putting a fan just beside it.

Secondly it takes forever to load a program. For instance loading up a web browser (I'm using Mozilla firefox), or any program say an antivirus program. I couldn't find any answer to this one.

Thirdly, it is taking forever to load a web page. For instance this tech-forum webpage. I already check with my internet service provider and they told me it could be my hardware/software not updated kinda stuff.

I've already updated my windows thru the windows update. However I'm using SP1.

Apparently I don't have any of these problems while using Win98SE. For your info, I've already disable all the stuffs in startup (by running msconfig). I already check for virus and spywares and yes, I am already infected through my first log on to the net and have already cleared those. I'm using Spybot search & destroy and using 8Bit Defender AV. Under the graphics hardware acceleration, I already shifted the scroll to the left. By the way, I opened up the task manager and noticed that my CPU usage is 100. Is it suppose to be that way?

Any help from u guys will be much appreciated. Thx a lot...

Dear The Major,
thx for the pointers.

I made a check and the processes that tok up the most usage was called "bot.exe". Apparently i have 3 of those bot.exe and each of them use up around 33-34. It seems that 3 of these bot.exe took up all the cpu usage. I tried to turn it off however it state that it might result in instability of my pc. What do you reckon?

jasin,

AH. Its a virus!. Google search reveals 'bot.exe' ,a well known virus. Now, use some good AV with updates and kill that virus.

Sign
Codes:)

Dear Codes,
Thx for the info.

Apparently I made a check on the net and found out out that it is a virus. I already run my Bit Defender AV and the virus is one namely "Backdoor.Agobot.3.Gen". However I searched the net thru yahoo, I've searched Symantec, AVG and Bit Defender webpages, they don't have any remover tool kit for that virus. Any idea where can I find it. I don't think the AV software I'm using (which is Bit Defender) is removing it right... If so, any AV software you would recommend?

P/S: Thx a lot guys, you've been very helpful...

jasin,

Hm...bit defender cant detect..? okay.. try to download Mcafee or Panda AntiVirus.Both are good. I used 'panda antivirus' when i was in windows .Panda have regular updates and can keep your system defended.! ;)

p.s: Now before running Av's, please disable the 'system restore' and boot into safe mode to scan and delete the virus.!

Sign
codes:)

Dear Codes and The Major,

Thanks for the help. You people have been helpful. My pc is back to normal...

By the way, just wondering with all the problems I encountered, should I click on the Windows updates to update my Windows XP to Service Pack 2.

Jasin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom