Win XP clock keeps changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
The clock on my computer is often 8-15 minutes ahead of what time it actually is. Even if I manually sync it to an online clock and it reverts to the correct time, a few hours later it will have gained upwards of 10 minutes. This just started withtin the past week on my 4.5 years old desktop.

The CMOS only stores your BIOS Settings and the clock settings. When it starts to go the clock in Windows acts up.

By removing the battery you will lose your BIOS Settings as they are now. But if you do not change the battery now you will log in one day and the PC will be reset to 12 AM with some day back in 2001 as the battery will not have the current info.

After you replce it jsut setup the stuff again and you will be good to go.

By BIOS settings, you mean stuff like what drive the computer looks in first to boot from, if num lock is turned on by default when windows starts, etc?

By BIOS settings, you mean stuff like what drive the computer looks in first to boot from, if num lock is turned on by default when windows starts, etc?

Don't worry, just replace the battery as suggested. You will lose nothing.

Cheers !

Yes the Num Lock and the clock are the 2 settings that will be changed back to default. Along with your boot order. If you had changed it at all.

If that battery is finally dying, does that mean that other parts of my computer will also likely need replacing soon?

No. The battery is just like a watch battery and can only go for so long. I mean it is only like a 1.5V battery. Can not expect it to last forever. ;)

No. The battery is just like a watch battery and can only go for so long. I mean it is only like a 1.5V battery. Can not expect it to last forever. ;)

Darn near forever...lol. 10+ year old PC's that I've worked on/have at home still have very little drain on those batteries...kinda surprising lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom