Win XP can't read floppy disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
I came across a bunch of floppy disks that I don't use anymore. So I decided to remove what was on them and pass them on to someone else in the family that does still use them.

Unfortunately, a number of disks can't be read by Windows XP because it says that it needs Windows 98 or Drive Space. Is there are way to view Windows 98 disks in XP?

And also, if it says that it is not formatted, what are the chances that this is just a stuff up because it is from a Windows 98 PC?

Floppy disks are very unreliable. Chances are the disks are corrupted. You can try formating them, but my guess is that either the format will not work, or the next time you put the stiffy disk into the drive, it will ask you to format them again.
Then again, perhaps your drive is broken, trry using the disks in another computer.

I'll try the disks that haven't been formatted in another computer,but what should I do about the ones that require Windows 98?

But doesn't formatting the disks permanently delete the content on the disks? Preferably I would like to retrieve the files.

I doubt that would be possible. Didn't you say that you do not need the data on these floppy disks, and that you planned to delete it anyway?

That was until I found two disks in particular that contain data that I think I have been searching for for quite some time. Of course, now I shall never know. *sigh* Oh well... I always did hate that damn Windows 98 disk thingy.

SupremeRuler99 said:
That was until I found two disks in particular that contain data that I think I have been searching for for quite some time. Of course, now I shall never know. *sigh* Oh well... I always did hate that damn Windows 98 disk thingy.

I think you will find the problem is with XP as it does formatting a little differently. I'll bet if you put those disks in ANY windows 98 machine they will read just fine.

So much for "progress".

Where do you want to go today?

Hmmm... I had a feeling that might be the case. What a shame that we don't have any Windows 98 machines. Unless... would it go in Windows ME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom