Win XP Boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
I have a PC that won't boot properly. Upon boot up I an error message and it says that this file is missing or corrupt, \windows\system32\config\system. I've tried running a chkdsk from the recovery console, but that didn't help. I checked Microsoft website, and followed the instructions on copying and moving certain files, but I was unable to copy a file, so it didn't work, now I'm stuck, any suggestions?

I've tried deleting to boot.ini from the recovery console, but it says that I do not have access to do that. I'm sure I'm under administrator rights, but when I select the appropriate drive, it doesn't ask for administrator password, so, maybe I'm not. know of any thing else?

not sure if this will help, but give this a try.

works for me last time when one of my PC said some file is corrupted or missing.

i got the same problem when i tried to install linux. What happens is that your boot.ini is probably stuffed. If u have a multi partition OS u need to check that teh partition number and harddrive letters and harddisk numbers are teh same in boot ini as they are sert up on th esystem. To check what they should be use a boot floppy of like Partition Magic or something like that and then use a live CD like Knoppix linux and go and change the boot ini to the propper partition numbers etc. Then it should work. Alternativelty just forget about linux and use windows. Hope this helps

Bumblebee Tuna said:
how do you boot to xp/install/repair? Or are you referring to the recovery console

no i'm not referring to recovery. i'm talking about reinstalling the os. tell it to install then it will show you a screen with the repair option on it. all it does is reinstall and keep your existing files like an upgrade install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom