Win XP : Accessing programs installed by other user

Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am running Win XP Home edition of my machine. There is an account with admin privileges (say X) and another one without (say Y).

I installed some games using the X. Now when I login as Y and try to run these, I get a message that 'Admin account is required to install this program'. I am unable to run such programs. It also gives another message saying Java VM has to be enabled.

Since these games are already installed, is there any way to allow access to all users, with whatever privileges ? I am able to see these games folders, files etc with Y account. It is just running that is a problem.

Please help.

Cheers.

Limited users only have read permissions to the Program Files folder. Limited users can run certified Windows XP Professional programs that have been installed or deployed by administrators. Users have Full Control over all of their own data files (%userprofile%) and their own portion of the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER).

However, user-level permissions often do not allow the user to successfully run legacy applications. Only the members of the Users group are guaranteed to be able to run Certified for Windows applications.

Read this link...
http://www.jimthompson.net/xphome/InstallingSoftware.htm

It will give you some insight on how to make legacy software work in XP. It is all basically a permissions problem.

In addition, during install of apps/games, you may see a box that asks who will be able to access this application,,

the choices are : only me
anyone who uses this computer,,

make sure that you choose the bottom option during install and all users will get the icon and access,,

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom