Win ME unknown hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzjj

Daemon Poster
Got a friend having trouble with her computer:

Windows ME, computer boots up and gets to login screen - although background and everything apparently look different to usual - enter password (or hit escape) and it hangs for a bit and then comes up with the add new hardware wizard saying that new hardware has been found (although it doesnt know what it is). It then searches for drivers but doesnt find them on any of my windows disks. basically this loops round and round and you cannot get past this screen.

Booted into safe mode and everything went fine - cant see any problems in device manager and i ran "scanreg /fix" - that is about all i had time to do, however the problem still persists.

I ought to point out that i have a windows disk for every version of windows from 95 onwards, apart from WinME!! So cannot do anything dependant on that disk. A fresh install is not really an option since she has office on her machine and cannot find a copy of the disk - i didn't check but dont believe that there is any obscure hardware in the machine.

Tomorrow i'm planning to sit and pull each piece of hardware out of the machine piece by piece - i'm guessing the most likely cause of this is a dead or loose bit of hardware. But before i do so i thought i'd check with you guys and see if anyone has any other suggestions.

fitzjj said:
Got a friend having trouble with her computer:

Windows ME, computer boots up and gets to login screen - although background and everything apparently look different to usual - enter password (or hit escape) and it hangs for a bit and then comes up with the add new hardware wizard saying that new hardware has been found (although it doesnt know what it is). It then searches for drivers but doesnt find them on any of my windows disks. basically this loops round and round and you cannot get past this screen.

Booted into safe mode and everything went fine - cant see any problems in device manager and i ran "scanreg /fix" - that is about all i had time to do, however the problem still persists.

I ought to point out that i have a windows disk for every version of windows from 95 onwards, apart from WinME!! So cannot do anything dependant on that disk. A fresh install is not really an option since she has office on her machine and cannot find a copy of the disk - i didn't check but dont believe that there is any obscure hardware in the machine.

Tomorrow i'm planning to sit and pull each piece of hardware out of the machine piece by piece - i'm guessing the most likely cause of this is a dead or loose bit of hardware. But before i do so i thought i'd check with you guys and see if anyone has any other suggestions.

do an upgrade. even if you have to do it in safemode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom