Win Explorer uses 100% CPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Dover

Solid State Member
Greetings

When I open my folder which contains some Video and audio files, the explorer.exe uses 50 CPU cycles and the CPU usuage goes up to around 80-100%. This happens every time I open this specific folder. All the other folders on the disk will open fine just not this one! Has anyone come across this problem before? Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ at 3.0GHz
2048MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
DirectX 9.0c
2 SAMSUNG SP0812C 80GB mirrored
1 SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA 500GB

have you defragged your drive lately?

have you tried changing folder view to details instead of icons?

Have you scanned for spyware/virues/malware? Have you made sure that none of the files are corrupt? Have you tried to move them to a different location?

If it is explorer.exe that is Windows. If it shows a file location of C:\Windows or C:\\Windows\system32 it is legit.

If it is explorer.exe that is Windows. If it shows a file location of C:\Windows or C:\\Windows\system32 it is legit.
It should only be in \Windows\, not \windows\system32\

if there is more than one explorer.exe open, then close the one that's running at 100%, and delete any that aren't in \windows\

But more probably, it's just one or more .dll files that have attached to explorer.exe

Yes after checking you are right Apok. It should only be in C:\Windows I was going by memory on that one. Wasnt sure if it was in Ssytem32 or not. Guess i was off on that one.

I have done a 'Spybot-Search and Destroy' scan which came up with a 'Double click' problem but it is fixed now.

Well when you open a folder with lots of Videos and Media files, Windows sometimes tries to create thumbnails of the first frame of the video or the image. Not sure if that helps in anyway...

I have done a virus scan on the folder and there were no viruses. I defragged the hard drive and that has not fixed the problem.
In the processes list in the task manager, there is one explorer.exe but it hogs 50 CPU cycles. When I end the process, I lose the deskstop icons and the 'Start' button and I have to restart the computer to get them back.
I can not move the folder to the other hard-drive because there is not enough room for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom