Not open for further replies.

djmike

Beta member
Hello People,

Win 98se
HDD : 8Gb
Ram : 64Mb
Pr: 433Gz Celeron

Need to install xp on spare box so my new mp3 player will will work.
thats ALL i need xp for so performance wise it needs to load up, throw on my music and thats it. I know my spec is krud but i figure it wont be too heavy duty as only 2 programes will use it.

My rough plan is to partition a new drive E: about 1.5 Gig with PMagic/fdisc. Then Install xp pro onto this drive. Run a dual boot.

Should I use a boot manager or none at all ?
My file system shudn't be a problem as i never chose to compress it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

You don't need a boot manager, it will just say Windows XP and Windows 98 at boot.

My main concern: Your computer isn't even powerful enough for XP. It will snail along.

I recommend at least 800MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB HD for XP.
You have the requirements for Windows 2000, nothing more.

Here are the minimum requirements for Windows XP.But like Talldude said you should atleast run 256mb ram, 800mhz. I've seen xp fail to boot with less.

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

Also, with a 1.5GB partition, you can install XP, and that's it. Even surfing the internet will use too much HD space, unless you turn system restore off.

Why not totally ditch Windows 98, it's not supported anymore. Use the entire 8GB for XP.

okay :

Ive good news and bad news.

The good news is that everything worked perfect.

The bad news is that you pesky nay sayers have egg all over your pasty white faces.

Partitioned drive for xp with 2.7 Gb. with Partition Magic.

Installed win xp home edition.

Runs fine on my 433GZ celeron with 64Megs Ram.

Start up takes abit longer but it runs WMP10 like one guy said it wudnt and runs my mp3 player software too.

Ive had to switch off all but the bare essentials and run in classic spec but thats okay for a system from 1999.

Win 98se partition works fine especially after drive letter re mapping. dual boot is pretty sweet too.

Web is faster than before but i still may use 98se for torrents and process heavy activities.

It can be done - Partition Magic very useful especially the excellent resue floppies which can run the entire program.

Not bad for a noob.
Cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom