Win 98 boot disk - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Win 98 boot disk

my friend has managed to crash his computer somehow - it wouldn't do anything so we've prepared the PC for reinstallation of win 98 but we don't have the system disk, we've tried boot.com and putergeek but neither of them work once inserted into the floppy drive of his PC (we get the error message - invalid system disk)

anybody have any suggestions on how we can resolve this problem?

Old 10-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

you are extracting the files on to the floppy and not just copying over a zipped file to the floppy, correct?

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 10-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Yes, you have to start the program you downloaded, or extract the files to the diskette if it's a ZIP file.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to real_in
Default Upgrade

I guess Microsoft Win98 comes with Bootable Disk .. so there is no need to boot from FDD

Who uses Fdd these days..

Well the best Suggestion would be "Upgrade" Ya it is high time for u guyz to upgrade to Microsoft WinXp.... 98 is ****.. :P

Cheers !!

Old 10-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

download the ME bootdisk
don't listen to the indians
Old 10-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

win xp is great unless your computer can not run it fast. I have many friends I have downgraded to win98 cause the machines just cant cut it. For them win98 runs much faster. If you have a fast rig xp all the way if not win98 is a great option.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If you have a Win 98 CD, you should be able to install from that. If not, go into Setup & make sure it's set to boot from D drive. You can then make a 3 1/2 floppy boot disc yourself.
What did you do to prepare the comp?

ag100
Old 10-02-2005, 02:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to real_in

Quote:
Originally posted by derrmc
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

download the ME bootdisk
don't listen to the indians

i thot racism was banned in this Forum.. you A**H***E

Old 10-02-2005, 05:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by killians45
you are extracting the files on to the floppy and not just copying over a zipped file to the floppy, correct?
Of course, we downloaded to C: on someone elses computer then extracted the files onto C and copied them all to the floppy, I don’t even have a FDD on my PC, so I was a lot of help!

Quote:
Originally posted by ag100
If you have a Win 98 CD, you should be able to install from that. If not, go into Setup & make sure it's set to boot from D drive. You can then make a 3 1/2 floppy boot disc yourself.
What did you do to prepare the comp?

ag100
Yeah we tried that as well, it wouldn’t read the CD-ROM, we again got: invalid system disk. We also tried using someone elses computer to copy boot files from the CD-ROM, that didn’t work either
The computer would even turn on so we used fdisk to create a primary DOS partition then formatted the hard drive (although when we did this I didn’t realize he didn’t have the startup (boot) disk

And another question – how do you write protect a floppy disk? We haven’t been, do you think that may be the problem?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

Quote:
Originally posted by samantha86
Of course, we downloaded to C: on someone elses computer then extracted the files onto C and copied them all to the floppy, I don’t even have a FDD on my PC, so I was a lot of help!

Yeah we tried that as well, it wouldn’t read the CD-ROM, we again got: invalid system disk. We also tried using someone elses computer to copy boot files from the CD-ROM, that didn’t work either
The computer would even turn on so we used fdisk to create a primary DOS partition then formatted the hard drive (although when we did this I didn’t realize he didn’t have the startup (boot) disk

And another question – how do you write protect a floppy disk? We haven’t been, do you think that may be the problem?
This is the wrong approac. Simply copying the extracted files over wont work. You need to run the EXE file that boot.com gives you as this will extract the items to the floppy as well as make it bootable. When you do a copy and paste it usually doesnt copy the .bin files (boot files) thus the error. Download this file http://www.dehning.com/download/util...sks/boot98.exe then make sure you have a floppy in the drive and double click the EXE it will run the batch file and prep the floppy.

Closed Thread

« IP question | Visio »