Win 8 / DVD Drive

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I tried using the Search function on these forums, but I'm getting an error message when I try, so, sorry if this one has already been asked about.......

I used my Blu-ray (DVD) ROM drive to install a copy of Windows 8 preview onto a hard drive.

However, after booting onto my desktop, Windows 8 does not "see" or recognize my Blu-ray/ DVD ROM drive; it's not there, it's not showing up.

I did some searching on the 'Net and I saw that many others are experiencing this, too. There were various solutions offered; here's what I've already tried:

- I copied over drivers for my ROM drive from my Win 7 system and into the appropriate folder in my Win 8 system
- Followed instructions I found on another tech forum for editing the Registry and removing "Upper & Lower" filters
- Also following instructions I found on another tech forum, I brought up the Command Prompt and tried adding the following: reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

After trying the various solutions I just listed, I always re-booted the computer to let the changes take effect. Nothing changed.

BTW.....the one suggestion that I mentioned above about the Command Prompt: That didn't work even when I was typing it in and entering it in the Command Prompt Window; it was giving me an error message that it was an invalid entry. Here's the actual instructions I found:

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter

2. Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Cont roller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

4. Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Do you see that part where it says, "Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter"? That didn't even work for me; when I tried cltr+shift+enter, there was no response. It only responded when I pressed enter by itself.

What do you think? I was able to install Win 8 preview using my Blu-ray/ DVD ROM drive, but, it's not being recognized once I boot into my desktop.

Anyone know a solution that I have not already listed above?

Thanks for any help.
Pez

Are you asking me if the drivers that I copied from my Win 7 system into the Win 8 system are Win 7 drivers? Umm....yes. I thought that was understood when I stated that I copied then from Win 7.

But still....how could something like simple CD or DVD ROM drivers not work going from Win 7 to Win 8?

When installing the Win 8 operating system itself onto the hard drive, it must have loaded some temporary drivers in order to do so (I had downloaded the ISO file of Win 8 from Microsoft and burned it to a DVD).

If Win 8 could "see" my DVD ROM drive during the installation, why can't it "see" it now?

Or is this just a bug/ glitch that will be worked out of the beta preview until the official release comes out in October?
Pez

Why would you copy drivers? That does not install them to a system. So you will have to go to the BD ROM Manufacturer's website and download the driver install package and install the drivers properly for it to function.

Why would I copy drivers? Because of information I came across on a forum on a Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN).

A responder on the thread replies: "Go to the Device Manager, check for DVD/CD-ROM drives drivers-Right Click-Update Driver-choose the second option to Browse my computer for driver software- Browse... to Computer-Windows7 -Windows- System 32- then find the folder 'Driver' or DriverStore, I'm not sure which of these two contains your CD-ROM drivers, so you may try both, one after the other, and install whatever the Device Manager finds on its own."

Maybe I misinterpreted this as meaning to copy the drivers that you find. I went into my Win 7's System 32 folder/ Drivers and copied the CD/ DVD drivers that I found there.

So just now, instead, I went to LG's site (the maker of my Blu-ray ROM drive) and got the driver install there. I'm typing this post from my Win 7 system. Next time I'm in Win 8 I'll try it from there and see if it "sees" the Blu-ray ROM drive.
Pez

Nope.....still a no-go.

I went to LG's web site and got the latest driver install package for my Blu-ray drive.

I launch the install package, but the installer package itself comes up with an error message of sorts claiming it can't find the drive.

However......when I'm in Windows 8 (but I'm now typing this post from my Win 7 OS), and I go into Device Manager, and click on "View", and then on "Show hidden devices", my drive then shows up.

So.....I guess the system is sorta kinda seeing it.

But if I click on the My Computer icon, it sees my hard drives but not my optical Blu-ray ROM drive. Hmph.

Like I mentioned above in my post, the Win 8 installation procedure was able to see the drive during install......but not after going into my desktop.

Any other ideas?
Pez

Back
Top Bottom